Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Road, Swallowfield


Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:55:20.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Road, Swallowfield

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wokingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 73174 64788


SU 76 SW 11/22

SWALLOWFIELD CHURCH ROAD (north-east side) Church of All Saints



Parish Church. C12, altered C13 and C15; transept added by the Russell family in 1836 which covers their vault; a general restoration in 1871. Flint with Bath stone dressings, tiled gabled roof and timber framed bellcote with brick infill. Continuous nave and chancel, north transept, south porch, and bellcote.

Bellcote: at west end of nave. C19 built from old timber supported from the floor of the nave with large scissor bracing; surmounted by a shingle octagonal spire.

Nave; north side: two C19 traceried windows, between them a C12 doorway with jambs of three orders, the inner and middle are slightly chamfered; detached shafts with moulded braces and scalloped capitals within the angles. The two orders of the round arch are moulded and the outer is enriched with zigzag.

West front: three trefoiled lights with C19 heads.

South side: three windows, the easternmost is late C14 with three ogee trefoiled lights with semi-quatrefoils above in square head and moulded label. The second is C15 with three cinquefoiled lights under a square head and C19 label. The third window is C19; To the west of it, high up, is the head of a small C13 lancet window. Between the second and third windows is a late C13 doorway of a single order with three-quarter edge rolls, and with moulded bases and mutilated bell capitals. The arch is round and probably C15.

Chancel; east front: three C19 windows with some old stonework, and bulls eye over. North front: a window with two cinquefoil lights under a traceried, pointed head with the foils of the tracery converted into soffite cusps. South front: Two C19 windows with a two-stage buttress to the left of the westernmost.

Transept; north side: a window of three lights under a traceried head of C15 style.

Interior: five bays of arched braced collar trusses to nave,with butt purlins, windbraces, and heavy tie beams with curved braces. The chancel roof is similar, but without tie beams. The transept has a plastered four-centred ceiling, with moulded wooden ribs. A piscina to the east of the northern most window of the north wall of the nave has a pointed head and a round basin; a C19 piscina has been formed from the east jambs of the south window in the chancel. Fittings include an old chest thought to be late C17, with a round lid and bound with plain strap ironwork, near the north door of the nave. At the west end there is a C19 arched recess containing a stone coffin with a raised cross on its lid, said to contain the bones of John le Despenser who died in 1275. The octagonal font is C19.

Monuments include: two C15 brasses in the floor of the chancel; the smaller to the north of the altar, with an inscription to Margery, wife of Thomas Letterford, and above a figure of a lady in C15 costume. The larger brass on the south side in a Purbeck marble slab with four shields at its corners, has the figures of a man in C16 armour, and a woman in a long gown, head-dress and veil. The inscription is to 'Crystofer Lytkoft Esquyer' died 1554. In the Russell transept are two large C17 mural monuments of classic design, one to John Backhouse of Swallowfield, who died in 1649, and the other to various members of the same family. There are also later monuments to the Russell family. At the west end of the nave are other C18, and later monuments. On the south wall of the nave outside, is a small stone with an inscription to Edward Swayhe, died February 1650, and next to this is a stone sundial.

Stained glass: a three-light window in the nave by Hardman, and a window in the north transept by Holiday 1884. It stands in the south part of Swallowfield Park, on a sloping site, falling to the River Blackwater on the west and is surrounded by trees.

Listing NGR: SU7317864798


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 272
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 238
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 04/02/2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01150/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Brian Steptoe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].