Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118084.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:51:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wokingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 79282 63810


FINCHAMPSTEAD CHURCH LANE SU 76 SE 12/1 (west side) 26.1.67 Church of St. James G.V. I Parish church. Dates from C12 with alterations and extensions in C14, C15, C16, C18, C19 and early C20. Part painted stucco with stone dressings to windows, brick tower and old tile roof. Apsidal chancel, 3 bay nave, 3 bay north chapel, north porch and a west tower. The chancel and nave date from the C12 and remaining from that date are 2 round headed windows in the north wall of the nave, an aumbry on the same wall to the right of the entrance, a pillar piscina with fluted capital and octagonal stem on the right side of the chancel apse and a limestone font with a fine bowl with sloping sides enriched with spiral roll and bead ornament; the stem and base are C19. The north chapel has a date and inscription T1590H on the outside of the stone lintel over the old north door, and is approached from the chancel through a 4-centred arched opening of 2 chamfered orders with flattened semi-octagonal responds with plain capitals and bases. The chapel is of more than one date; it has a late C14 window with 2 ogee trefoiled lights under a square head; a C15 east window of 3 similar lights and head; 2 large moulded tie beams in the roof, a similar tie at a higher level with 2 large curved braces supporting the purlins, and part of a large moulded wall plate with a roll mould and chamfer with run out stops. An arcade of 2 bays opens from the nave to the chapel, the eastern and narrower bay with respond and middle pillar is C19; the other bay is similar to the chancel arch which was widened in C15 and has semi-octagonal jambs with moulded capitals and bases. The chancel has a flat ribbed timber roof with foliated bosses adjoining the apse; the nave roof is of vaulted timber with C15 moulded tie beams with moulded bases, 2 of which are missing on the south side. The east window of the nave is C19, the 2 south windows are C14..with 4 trefoiled ogee-headed lights with semi-quatrefoils over, under a square head. The north doorway is probably a C15 insertion and is of a single hollow chamfered order with a 2-centred arch; the gabled porch is C19. The pulpit is C19 with pieces of C15 tracery and cresting. Tower:- is dated 1720, on a panel on the north side, 3 stages, moulded plinth, strings, angled corner buttresses, plain parapet with pyramidal finials on the corners; the belfry windows have brick lattice tracery. There is one C15 stone window of 2 ogee trefoiled lights on the west face, below which is a brick doorway with a door contemporary with the tower under a round arched head. There are two panelled chests preserved in the chancel, one with a sloping lid inscribed 'RH 1614', and another smaller one with the initials and date set with nails 'BL 1690 IT'. Monuments:- In the north chapel is an altar tomb with a black marble top to Richard Palmer of East Court 1670. On the north side of the chancel arch is a bronze tablet to Henry Hinde, Lord of the Manor of Finchampstead East Court, who died in 1580. On the south wall of the nave a small brass to Elizabeth Blighe, 1635 and above this a small brass with the figure of a lady and her child richly dressed. In the chancel floor is a black slab with 2 small brass inscriptions, the upper commemorating Richard Marsh, a citizen and grocer of London, who died in 1613, and the lower inscribed with a set of laudatory verses in Latin. The church was restored in 1858 and again in 1914; it stands high on a mound with fine views to the south from the churchyard. V.C.H. Vol.III p.245. B.0.E. (Berkshire) p.143.

Listing NGR: SU7928563808


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 245
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 143


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01150/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Brian Steptoe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].