This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1118566



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Milton Abbas

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103554

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/138 Milton Abbey School 26-6-53 GV I

Country house, used as public school. Built 1771-76 for Joseph Dames, architects Sir W Chambers and J Wyatt. Replacing domestic buildings of abbey except for Hall (item 137). Mainly ashlar stone walls, slate and lead roofs, with parapets. Ashlar stacks, some designed as pinnacles. Quadrangular plan. The Hall (q.v.) forming south range. Part 2-storeyed, part 3-storeyed. In early Gothic Revival style. Entrance (north) front has projecting towers each end and central porch tower. Porch has 4-centred arch leading to courtyard, in square frame, with shields in spandrels, flanked by pilasters. Each side of this a 3-sided canted bay, the whole rising to 3 storeys. Pierced parapet with quatrefoils and moulded cornice. Moulded string courses at each floor level. On second floor, in centre, a sash with Gothic glazing. In each bay, 3 oval openings - those in centre with windows - others blank. On first floor, a 4-centred arched sash with glazing bars in centre. In each bay a 4-centred arched opening,those in centre with sashes with glazing bars - others blank. On ground floor, a 4-centred arched sash with glazing bars in centre of each bay. Between the porch and end towers, 2-storeyed ranges, with battlemented parapets. On each side, each floor has three 4-centred arched sashes with glazing bars. End towers, of 3 storeys have octagonal corner buttresses carried up as pinnacles. Pierced parapets with quatrefoils on second floor each tower has a square window flanked by a circular window each side - all with glazing bars. On ground and first floors each tower has three 4-centred arched sashes with glazing bars - the centre window larger. Label moulds to outer windows. All windows have moulded surrounds. Archway to courtyard has heavy timber doors. Gothic style plaster vault. East wall of flint and stone banding. C19 service wing at south-east corner, of flint and stone banding with slate roof. C20 wing at north-east - of no particular interest. Internally, main rooms in west range have fine original joinery and plasterwork, in classical style. Similar, simpler detail in rooms of north range. Stone cantilever stair with ornamental iron balusters - East range damaged by fire 1956 - has no original interior features. Interesting early Gothic Revival design. RCHM. Monument 4. (Dorset. Vol.III)

Listing NGR: ST7989702385

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

National Grid Reference: ST 79854 02377


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:56:50.

End of official listing