This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1118631

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Anderson

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103414

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ANDERSON SY 89 NE ANDERSON MANOR

7/1 Church of Saint Michael 14-7-55 GV II

Former parish church, now redundant. Medieval origin, transept added 1755, whole Church largely rebuilt 1882. Architect Walter J Fletcher, of Wimborne, Nave, Chancel, south transept, south porch. Walls, nave of flint and stone banding, transept of flint and brick bonding, chancel plastered. Chamfered plinth. Tiled roofs with stone eaves courses, coped gables and ornamental ridge tiles. Double stone bell cote at west end, gabled, with trefoiled arches, supported on a shallow pilaster buttress on west wall. C19 porch in angle of nave and transept, of glazed timbering on flint and stone base, with stone slate roof. West of this a 2-light square-headed window with trefoiled lights. 2-light traceried window in transept. Single-light square-headed windows, with trefoiled lights, in north and south chancel walls. 2-light pointed arched traceried window in east wall. North wall of nave has two 2-light square-headed windows with trefoiled lights.

Internally, chancel has a pine roof with cusped braced principals. Nave and transept roofs of pine, arch-braced. C19 pine pews and pulpit. Small C19 octagonal font. Bowl of. earlier font on floor of transept, with part of base. On south wall of nave a circular marble monument to Margaret Golpine, died 1803, signed J Brine. 1807.

Churchyard wall, probably C19, of brick, with shallow piers and plain coping. (RCHM Monument 1. Dorset. Vol.III)

Listing NGR: SY8802397536

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SY 88023 97536

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 11:38:46.

End of official listing