SY 5999 CATTISTOCK CATTISTOCK CHURCHYARD
10/14 Parish Church of
26.1.56 SS. Peter and Paul
Parish Church. C15 remains, C17 north chapel walls and ceiling.
1857 rebuilding under Sir George Gilbert Scott, involved rebuild
of chancel, nave arches to north and south chapels, addition of
a south aisle and arcade, insertion of the west window. (Faculty,
November 1856). Work of 1873 under George Gilbert Scott, junior:
removel of old tower, construction of a north aisle, addition of
north porch, west tower, and range of vestry accommodation.
(Faculty, October 1872). Rubble and banded stone walls, dressed,
stone quoins. Plain clay-tile roofs. Stone gable copings with
crosses at apices. Chancel: two bays and 3 - sided east end,
with angle-shafts and foilage capitals. Two-light windows with
plate tracery heads. Single-light in the apse with trefoiled
head, under lancet. Continuous corbel-table. Windows of similar
form to the south aisle. Windows of north chapel of late
Perpendicular form, probably C17. North-west tower, modelled on
Charminster church tower, lower basement storey. Double-plinth,
set-back buttresses and 6-stage tower. Bell-openings, 3-stage,
not conforming with buttress set-offs. 4-lights width, double-
transomed, with central standard to full height, panelled tracery
in a rectangular head, open work crenellated parapet, with corner
panelled finials and croketed pinnacles. North porch, with open
pointed entrances on the north and west sides, diagonal buttressing.
Interior: Chancel-arch: "elaborately moulded, the central
moulding springing from short clusters of 3 marble shafts".
(Pitfield). Roofs: chancel, "exposed trussed rafters, and
diagonal roof boarding". Nave roof "is in 3 main bays divided
by arch-braced principals with cross-trussed rafters below
plastered soffits; and the double-pitched roofs of the south
aisle and chapel are similar". Tower, used as baptistery, font
of marble with a slightly tapering square bowl, on a circular
central stem, with 4 smaller corner columns. Font cover, massive,
wood and gilded, 3 tiers with traceried sides, ending in a
crocketed pinnacle. Stone screen and iron grille to north.
Stencilled designs and texts. Ceiling, divided into 16 panels,
painted and decorated with stencilled designs. Tall belfry
designed to accommodate carillon of 35 bells cast by Van
Aerschodt of Louvain, not replaced after 1940. Stained Glass,
South aisle, window of 1882 by Morris, 6 angels in red and white
ibber against a dark blue background. Sculpture: small piece of
Saxon interlace in the chancel north wall. Attached Vestry block
to south-west over-basement, Perp. detailing.
(RCHM Dorset I, p71(1). F. P. Pitfield, Dorset Churches A-D
(1981). 152-155.N. Pevsner and J. Newman, Dorset, 130-131).
Listing NGR: SY5914599525