PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118662

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118662 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:50:03.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Langton Herring

National Grid Reference: SY 61438 82462

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGTON HERRING CHURCH HILL SY 68 SW 6/125 Parish Church of St Peter 26.1.56 GV II Parish Church. C14 Nave and Chancel. West Tower added early C19. Church drastically restored in 1827 and 1858, when vestry and south aisle added. Rubble- stone walls with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Chancel, C20 east window. South wall, 2 windows, eastern C20, except for jambs and cill, western a single C14 lancet. Nave, north wall, 3 windows, single lancet, C20, and two 2-light windows with panel tracery, C20. Under the middle window are the jambs of the destroyed north doorway. West Tower, entrance to church through south wall. Three stages, two strings with thin loop-lights, castellated parapet. Further pointed-arch entrance on north side. Interior: south arcade of 2 bays, large central column, with a square block capital with flat fascias, C19. West doorway with a restored 2-centred head. Chancel-arch; single respond order with moulded jambs. Label with square stops. C20 arch, responds re-used. Fittings: Font, stone, octagonal bowl with a quatrefoiled panel in each face, moulded underside, stem with trefoil- headed panel in each face, moulded and stepped square base, C15. Communion-rails, with turned balusters and newels with turned tops, moulded and enriched rail, C17. Monuments, north wall Tablet, white marble with laurel wreath at top, 'In memory of William Sparks, who died on 3rd March, 1829, in the 70th year of his age. Made by Chislett'. (RCHM Dorset I, p.130 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY6143882462

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105244

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 130

End of official listing