SY 59 SE LONG BREDY LONG BREDY VILLAGE
1/158 Parish Church of St Peter
Parish Church. C13 Chancel. C15 Nave, North Transept, Tower, South Porch.
C18 South Transept. C19 South aisle and Vestry. Chancel restored in 1841.
Restoration of 1863, when South Transept much altered (Hicks). Rubble-stone
and flint walls with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, 3 bays, with
C19 buttressing. East window has 3 graduated lancets with moulded labels and
rere-arches. Splays have each a Purbeck marble shaft, with moulded capital and
base. North wall: 3 C13 lancets, the 2 eastern altered c.1400. Shafted splays
and moulded segmental-pointed rere-arches and labels, continued along wall as a
string. South wall also has 3 C13 windows, similarly treated, all altered c.1400,
and now of 2 trefoiled lights in square heads. C13 doorway has chamfered jambs,
2-centred head and label. Nave, drastically restored 1863, north wall, archway
to north transept and 2 two-light windows, all C19. Blocked C15 north doorway has
chamfered jambs and 4-centred head. South wall has a C19 arcade, C19 doorway to
porch and 2-light window west of this. North transept has a C19 3-light window.
South Porch, originally C15, completely restored and with C19 outer archway. West
Tower, C15, 3 storeys with a plain parapet and gargoyles. Diagonal and square
buttresses. West doorway has moulded jambs and 4-centred head. West window of
two trefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with a label and head-stops.
2nd stage single square headed light in west wall. Bell-chamber has in each wall a
window of 2 trefoiled lights and blind tracery in a square head with a label. South
transept has a C19 3-light south window. South aisle inserted between transept and
porch. Interior: nave roof carried on good C19 carved stone corbels, 4 bays of
arch-braced collar trusses with splayed Y-strutting over. Chancel roof, C19 crown-
post type. Chancel-arch, C19. Fittings: Piscina, chancel: recess with moulded
jambs and square head, C13, partly blocked and no drain. Monuments: North transept,
east wall: white marble wall-tablet by Lester, Dorchester, to Joseph Symes, 1830, and
Elizabeth his wife, 1852. Stone tablet with scrolls, shield-of-arms, 1677 to John
Hurding. South porch, on west wall, freestone tablet with side-columns, cornice,
cherubs and emblems of mortality to Mary ...., 1697.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.39 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY5706690585