PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118696

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, NORTH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:34:19.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, NORTH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Chickerell

National Grid Reference: SY 64386 80689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 68 SW CHICKERELL NORTH SQUARE

6/107 Parish Church of St Mary 26.1.56 GV II*

Parish Church. C13 Chancel and Nave. 1722, south Porch rebuilt. 1804 Chancel walls lowered. 1834, north Aisle added. North Vestry, C20. Chancel restored in 1865, further restorations in 1875 and 1896. Rubble-stone walls with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Chancel: C13 3-light east window. South wall, two C19 windows, and a blocked C13 doorway between with continuous chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. C20 doorway in north wall to Vestry. Nave: south wall has a chamfered plinth, and a moulded string close under the eaves. High up at east end, small single light window with an ogee opening and pierced spandrels in a square head. Large C15 window, east of porch, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a distorted 2-centred head. Label with head-stops. Altered 2-light window, C14, west of porch. Gabled west wall has a central buttress in 3 stages, and an ashlar bellcote with 2 round-headed openings under a gablet. South porch, entrance has a chamfered segmental head and chamfered jambs. Small stone tab- let over with the initials and date IH 1722. North aisle, stone tablet over the west doorway inscribed 'This aisle built 1834 by subscription'. End walls with 2-light-windows. North wall with a 3-light window, all with simple intersecting tracery in 2-centred heads. Interior: Nave, north wall entirely removed and replaced by 3 C19 cast-iron columns. Chancel-arch, late C13, rebuilt and widened, 2-centred and of 2 orders, inner hollow-chamfered, and the outer chamfered, with roll-moulded stops. Fittings: Font, circular tub-shaped bowl with nearly straight sides, shallow band of fluted label-ornament under the rim, 3 incised lines bands of bead and interlace round the lower part, C12, on modern cylindrical stem. Gallery across full width of church, 1834. Pulpit, six-sided, oak with fluted and reeded styles, sides divided into 3 tiers. One panel carved with date and initials'1630 RW.IM'. Monument: Purbeck marble slab with incised figure of priest, C15, cut--down and reset on modern corbels. (RCHM Dorset II, p.38 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY6438680689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105226

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 38

End of official listing