CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1118852
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:15:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Melcombe Horsey
National Grid Reference:
ST 77274 02083

Details

ST 70 SE MELCOMBE HORSEY BINGHAM'S MELCOMBE

10/150 26-1-56 Church of St Andrew

GV I

Parish church, largely mid C14, upper stage of tower and rebuilding of south chapel, C15, restoration and partial rebuilding of chancel 1844. Mainly flint and rubble walls with ashlar dressings. Nave and chancel have tiled roofs with stone copings bearing finials. South chapel roof is stone slated, north chapel roof hidden behind parapet. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, north chapel and south chapel incorporating porch. Tower: 2 stages separated by strings, the upper one having north gargoyle; hollow-chamfered plinth; embattled parapet; diagonal and square set buttresses; vice turret with pyramidal stone roof; 3-light reticulted west window under 2-centred head with returned label; bell openings of 2-lights under 2-centred heads with pierced stone panels. Most windows are of 2 or 3-ogee headed, trefoiled lights unde square heads. East chancel window similar to west window but of the C19. South nave window of 3-lights with panel tracery under a square head, with label having stops with carved initials. South chapel south window has shallow triangular head and is of 3-lights with panel tracery and a label with carved head stops. South chapel east window of 3-lights with panel tracery under a 2-centred head. South porch has a segmental pointed door of 2 chamfered orders. The south nave door has a chamfered, 4-centred head with continuous jambs. Interior features: chapel and tower arches are 2-centred with 2 chamfered orders and flat responds; chancel arch is of the C19 with a flat soffit and jambs,the imposts being formed of reused window mullions; wooden chapel screen dated 1619; C18 fielded wooden pulpit with cornice; C17 turned communion rails; some benches possibly C16 restored; c 1200 round stone font on C20 base; cinqufoiled ogee headed niche in porch; C18, C19 and C20 monuments; some early glass; south chapel and nave have C19 waggon roofs; chancel has arch-braced collar roof; north chapel has flat boarded roof; some possibly C16 tiles; stoup in east jamb of south doorway; various reset fragments of medieval carving. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, pp 161-3, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin 1972, p 278.

Listing NGR: ST7727502082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
104880
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 161-163
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 278

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07914/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jez Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].