PARISH CHURCH OF STS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118863

Date first listed: 21-May-1984

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF STS PETER AND PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF STS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 05:53:02.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF STS PETER AND PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Caundle Marsh

National Grid Reference: ST 67783 13234

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 61 SE CAUNDLE MARSH CAUNDLE MARSH VILLAGE

2/75 Parish Church of Sts Peter and Paul GV II

Parish Church 1857 by R H Shout. Squared, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Roof of plain and scalloped tiles; gable ends with stone copings and cross finials. Plan: nave, chancel and north porch; bell cote between nave and chancel. Nave windows each of 2 pointed, trefoiled lights with labels. West nave window of 3-lights under 2-centred head with label; 'decorated' tracery with 2 quatrefoils. Chancel windows each of 2 rounded, trefoiled lights with returned labels. East chancel window of 3-lights under a 2-centred head with label having carved stops; 'decorated' tracery with large trefoil. Diagonal buttresses at angles and square set buttresses at division of nave and chancel. Coved ashlar cornice. Porch is gabled, of open timberwork on a rubble case. South chancel door has moulded 2-centred head with continuous jambs; label has ballflower stops. Internal features: 2-centred, moulded chancel arch springing from short respond shafts with capitals on carved angel corbels; chancel rerearches are supported on free standing shafts; central mullions of windows bear carved heads; north door has shouldered rere-arch; waggon roof to chancel, arch braced collar roof to nave, both on ashlar pieces; stone pulput of 1920 with fielded panels; possibly C2O octagonal font with quatrefoils bearing floral motifs; stone altar rails and dividing walls under chancel arch; C17 table tomb bearing coat of arms set under 4-centred arch in north chancel wall; piscina in chancel; various C19 and c2O monuments. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 55, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 132. Pitfield, F P, Dorset Parish Churches A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp 155-6. Architectural Plans with a few Sketches of Old Buildings by Mr Shout, Architect, deposited in the County Museum, Dorchester.

Listing NGR: ST6778313234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104798

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 55
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 132
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 155-156

End of official listing