DORSET COUNTY MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119030

Date first listed: 08-May-1975

Statutory Address: DORSET COUNTY MUSEUM, HIGH WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DORSET COUNTY MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:49:11.

Location

Statutory Address: DORSET COUNTY MUSEUM, HIGH WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Dorchester

National Grid Reference: SY 69221 90765

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH WEST STREET 1. 5l91 (North Side) Dorset County Museum SY 6990 7/245 II GV 2. 1881-3. Architects: G R Crickmay and Son of Weymouth. Portland with Ham stone dressings. Pitched slate roof. 2 storeys. 2 stringcourses, moulded batter at 1st floor cill level, moulded dripstone at eaves level, crenellated parapet. Central shallow canted 2 storey bay with 7 light mullion and transom window, each light with depressed arched head, upper window with 2 transoms and Perpendicular tracery in upper lights: crenellated parapet. Above this is gable with moulded coping, in which is set a 3 light mullion and transom window with hoodmould, and above it a trefoil-headed panel with Borough Arms and date of 1881. Right hand bay has on ground floor 1 single light window with transom and Perpendicular tracery above it. On corner of 1st floor is nearly circular 4-light oriel on carved foliate squinches with stringcourse carried round it as a transom, Perpendicular tracery in upper lights, ornamental frieze and battered stone roof. Left hand bay has panelled double doors set in deeply moulded 4-centred arch with circles and foliage in spandrels, and 3 moulded panels with escutcheons of arms above, the whole flanked by 2 slender buttresses of square section set diagonally, with applied ogee gablets and traceried panels, and topped by crocketed finials [c.f. the archetypal C.15 Dorset church tower]. Above this door is another single-light window with transom and Perpendicular tracery above it. Oblong chimneys of which end stacks are attached polygonal shafts with cornicing. Interior has an aisled hall carried on cast iron columns taking galleries above aisles, and then taking semi-circular transverse arches to roof. Elaborate tracery patterns to main trusses and to the brackets spanning the aisle bays. Nos 48 to 65A (consec)including the Shire Hall, Holy Trinity Church, the Museum, St. Peter's Church and monument to William Barnes in churchyard immediately south of West Tower form a group.

Listing NGR: SY6922190765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104389

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing