Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1119179
Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956
Statutory Address: HERRINGSTON HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119179 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 09:58:39.
Statutory Address: HERRINGSTON HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish: Winterborne Herringston
National Grid Reference: SY 68909 88092
SY 68 NE WINTERBORNE HERRINGSTON
5/113 Herringston House
Manor House in grounds. C14 courtyard house, of which north range and the north parts of the east and west ranges were taken down at the beginning of C19. Remodelled or partly rebuilt in late C16. Great Chamber created early C17. Early C19 remodelling of the north side by Thomas Leverton and present entrance hall created. Late C19, porch added to the north front. 1899, substantial new wing added on east side of house, conservatory and outbuildings added on the west. Stone walls, rendered in cement. Hipped and gabled slate roof. Rendered stacks. North front: 2 storey gabled wings, ranges truncated by Leverton. 3 storeys at centre with an embattled parapet. One window : 3 windows: one window. Leverton's centre has tripartite sashes with glazing bars, which intersect at the head. Windows over porch are single sashes also with intersecting glazing bars. Separate returned labels over all windows. Crown glass. The gabled wings have 3 light sashes with intersecting glazing bars, set in shallow recesses with two centred heads, there are quatrefoiled panels between the upper and lower windows. Central gabled porch has a pointed arch doorway with separate returned label over. Wooden door coat of arms over. Inner 2 leaf door is glazed, C19. South front: 2 storeys, irregular fenestration. Upper windows are of C16 with elliptical headed lights, moulded jambs and heads, and labels. The projection containing the Great Chamber has C19 buttresses between which are two ground floor windows, each of 2 elliptical headed lights with moulded jambs and mullions, and a third window with plain chamfered jambs. The window above, to the Great Chamber, has moulded jambs and mullions, and comprises 12 lights with four centred heads divided into four groups of three, by a transom and heavy central mullion. Similar windows on the returns. Eaves level raised over Hall by Leverton. Hall windows have 2 ranges of 4 elliptical headed lights divided by a transom, under a common label. West of this, the sash windows to the drawing room and bedroom over are early C18 with plain stone architraves. 1899 range attached at south east. Portland ashlar and Ham stone dressings. Slate roofs with Ham stone gable copings. Two stacks on ridge. 2½ storeys. 4 windows, with projecting and gabled central bay. Mainly 2 light wood casements with diagonal pattern of glazing bars throughout. In central bay, windows are of 4 : 4 : 3 lights with separate returned labels over. Plank door at right hand end. Interior: the hall, rising through two storeys, has an archway to the north west with round arched head with keystone, imposts and jambs, all moulded, finished with chamfered plinths. Above the C19 east doorway to the hall is a similar arched opening to the first floor landing with a stone balustrade within the archway. Lower parts of walls are lined with C19 panelling incorporating re-used pieces of earlier work of C16 and C17. Drawing room to the west is lined with bolection moulded panelling of early C18. Large dining room has early C19 fireplace surround with enriched mouldings and drapery flowing from a female head. Staircase has stone steps of C19. Great Chamber plates 191, 192, has carved panelling, elaborate fireplace surround, decorated plaster barrel-vaulted ceiling, all early C17. These are all described in detail in the R.C.H.M. entry. The plasterwork and panelling of the Great Chamber are of importance. The manor has been in the continuous ownership of the Williams family since 1513. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.388 (1). Coker, Survey of Dorsetshire (1732), 73 Hutchins II, S27. Country Life, XXXIV (1913), 674-8).
Listing NGR: SY6890988092
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 106007
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 388
Coker, , Survey of Dorsetshire, (1732), 73
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1868)
'Country Life' in 11 January, (1913), 674-8
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing