PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1119183

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 16:53:28.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Winterborne St. Martin

National Grid Reference: SY 64754 89008

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 68 NW WINTERBORNE ST MARTIN MAIN ROAD (north side) 4/120 Parish Church of 26.1.56 St Martin

GV I

Parish Church. C13 sub-bases to the north arcade piers, reused. C15 chancel and west tower. Nave has north arcade rebuilt in C16. South wall of nave rebuilt in C19. South porch C19. Church restored 1896-1907. Portland rubble and dressed stone walls. Slate roofs. Chancel: diagonal buttresses at corners and a 3 stage buttress in centre of south wall. East window, C15, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two centred head with a label. The north and south walls each have 2 C15 windows, similar to the east window but of two lights only. South doorway has hollow chamfered jambs and a pointed head. Nave, south wall is rendered externally and has 3 two stage brick buttresses and 3 three light windows in square heads with labels. The south doorway has a segmental pointed head. The north aisle, has a mid C17 east window of 3 square headed lights North wall has 3 windows, eastern is similar to east window. C15 restored middle window is of 3 trefoiled lights in a segmental pointed head. Western window is of three trefoiled lights with a C20 head. West tower: C15, three stages with diagonal buttresses embattled parapet, pinnacles and gargoyles. Stair turret built against the north side later in C15. The west window is of 3 trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head with a label. 2nd stage: has small rectangular windows in east and west walls. Bell chamber has in each wall a window of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery in a pointed head with a label, that in north wall is covered by stair turret. South porch has an outer archway with moulded jambs and pointed head. Interior: Tower arch of 3 moulded orders, inner and outer springing from jamb shafts with moulded caps and bases. North arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers and semi octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases standing on early C13 sub bases. Caps support roughly carved abaci from which spring round arches of one stop chamfered order. Nave roof, C15 trussed rafter with curved braces with moulded ribs and bosses. North aisle has a C16 lean to roof. Chancel arch, two centred with continuous orders, C20. Fittings: font, square Purbeck marble bowl with 5 rounded headed panels in each face, central and four subsidiary shafts and moulded base, late C12. Pulpit: oak, 5 sided with moulded cornice and panelled base, early C17. Communion rails and table, both C17. Monuments: C18 and C19 stone and marble tablets in nave, to T Masterman and Mary his wife 1763- 1757. Also Richards, Guppy and Hawkins monuments, signed Raggett, Weymouth. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.391 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY6475389009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106014

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 391

End of official listing