KINGSTON LACY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1119511
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
KINGSTON LACY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGSTON LACY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:20:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGSTON LACY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
East Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Pamphill
National Grid Reference:
ST 97853 01268

Details

1. 5193 PAMPHILL Kingston Lacey House ST 90 SE 3/9 18.3.55 I GV 2. A large house built between 1663 and 1665 by Sir Ralph Barker. Architect Sir Roger Pratt. Altered circa 1835, Architect Charles Barry. Ashlar stone walls, hipped lead roof with dentil cornice and central balustraded flat surmounted by a cupola. Compact rectangular plan. Two storeys plus basement and attics. Basement walls rusticated - rusticated quoins to upper storeys. Entrance in north front - ground here lowered to give three full storeys. Projecting centre bay with pediment containing carved coat of arms. Portico, at basement level, with rusticated arches, Tuscan pilasters, and balustraded parapet, with carved lions at angles. Basement has eight casement windows with glazing bars. Ground and first floors each have nine double-hung sash windows with glazing bars in moulded surrounds. Attic has two dormers with curved pediments south (garden) front, of two storeys and attics. Projecting centre bay. Ground and first floors each have nine double-hung sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone surrounds, that in centre of ground floor with pediment. Attic has large central balustraded dormer with three round-headed openings divided by pilasters, with balustraded aprons. Also two dormers as on north front. Attached raised terrace with balustrade and stone runs. Attached service range on west of house, C18,has brick walls and slate roofs, with timber bell turret. Casement windows with lead lights. Internally, most features C18 or circa 1835. White marble staircase with turned balusters and sculptured frieze. Ornamental ceiling with painting attributed to Giorgione. Library has ceiling painting by Guido Reni. Dining room has panelling with tapestry panels and ornamental plaster ceiling. Ground salon - the full height of the house has barrel vaulted ceiling with painted decoration. Spanish dining room has pointings - School of Veronese. RCHM Monument 4.

Listing NGR: ST9785601267

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
107207
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16544/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JE Leeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].