This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CHAPEL AT FORMER HOLLOWAY SANATORIUM VIRGINIA WATER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHAPEL AT FORMER HOLLOWAY SANATORIUM VIRGINIA WATER

List entry Number: 1119659

Location

THE CHAPEL AT FORMER HOLLOWAY SANATORIUM VIRGINIA WATER, STROUD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Runnymede

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Mar-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 06 NW EGHAM STROUD ROAD

1346/4/10015 The Chapel at former Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water 17.11.86

GV II*

Chapel to former private lunatic asylum, formerly linked but now free-standing. 1882-4 by W H Crossland, altered and remodelled internally in 1899-1900 by G F Bodley. Fine red brick with stone dressings, rose window and crow-stepped gable over entrance. Three-light traceried windows along side and round three-sided apse. Franco-Flemish Flamboyant Gothic style. Interior rib vaulted with stencilled decoration. West gallery. High timber panelling, damaged, by Bodley. Altar removed. Stained glass attributable to C E Kempe. The chapel was conceived later than the main asylum building, although a separate chapel was a normal requirement of asylums by that date. Holloway was not specially religious, and it had originally been intended that worship would take place in the upper hall - a reason, perhaps, for the elaborate scheme of decoration. The chapel is closer in style to Royal Holloway College, on which Holloway and his trustees were engaged by the 1880s. The result, appropriate to such a lavish celebration of Holloway's achievement and philanthropy, forms a strong group with the main building. SOURCE: Victorian Society Annual, 1995



Listing NGR: TQ0026068257

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Victorian Society Annual' in Victorian Society Annual, (1995)

National Grid Reference: TQ 00260 68257

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:02:27.

End of official listing