ELLIOTT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119677

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1998

Statutory Address: ELLIOTT HOUSE, 22, RECULVER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELLIOTT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 23:00:24.

Location

Statutory Address: ELLIOTT HOUSE, 22, RECULVER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Canterbury (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TR 19219 67597

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 16 NE HERNE BAY RECULVER ROAD

751/6/10001 Number 22 Elliott House

II

Alternatively known as: Railway Convalescent Home. Convalescent home, now sheltered accommodation. Foundation stone laid 12 June 1899, completed in 1901, with extension in matching style of 1907 opened by Princess Louise and mid and late C20 extensions to rear. Architect A Saxon Snell, built by the philanthropist and social reformer J Passmore Edwards as a convalescent home for railwaymen. Eclectic Arts and Crafts Style. Built of local red brick, Bath stone render and tilehanging with tiled roofs and tall brick chimneystacks. An asymmetrical building of two storeys and attics with eight windows, incorporating three projecting gables. The principal feature is an octagonal five storey tower with continuous glazing to fourth floor and casements below. Other windows are double or triple casements or mullioned and transomed casements. Doorcase below tower has cambered head with elaborate keystone, pilasters and stained glass door. Wood and glazed verandah links door with central projecting gable. Further later doorcase in projecting wing has curved open pediment, keystone and giant brackets. Rear elevation has three projecting gables, a mid C20 red brick one storey rotunda and small late C20 flat roofed extension. Interior features include two well staircases with turned balusters, one with scrolled tread ends, fireplace with Gibbs surround to front hall, fireplace with panels, reeded pilasters, strapwork paterae and matching mirror surround to Sitting Room, Library with fitted bookcases and wooden fireplace with carved brackets. Originally this was built as a pair of adjoining convalescent homes but the Friendly Societies convalescent home was demolished c1985.



Listing NGR: TR1900067400

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469149

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing