THE APPLE TREE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1119685
Date first listed:
06-May-1997
Statutory Address:
THE APPLE TREE, LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8EQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119685.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 21:37:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE APPLE TREE, LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8EQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 40209 55931

Details

NY 4055 NW 671-1/12/340

CARLISLE LOWTHER STREET (west side) The Apple Tree

(Formerly listed as Pippins)

II Alternatively known as: Apple Tree Inn, LOWTHER STREET. Public House. 1925, with late C20 alterations. By Harry Redfern, architect for the State Management Scheme in Carlisle ('The Carlisle Undertaking'). Red brick, with sandstone and terracotta dressings, and a Lake District slate roof covering.

PLAN: U-shape, with small rear yard now infilled.

EXTERIOR: FRONT ELEVATION (east): 2 storey and attics, 5-bay front with end bays expressed as slightly advanced towards towers of 3-storeys. Ground floor entrance frontage, with double doorways to outer and centre bays, the latter flanked by large square window openings with tripartite frames. Either side of the windows are double pilasters rising from a deep plinth, supporting a frieze, all of pale terracotta, as are the door surrounds of the doorways to the end towers. First floor with 5 tall stone mullion and transom windows with ashlar aprons and lintels which form part of an eaves band to the central 3 bays, below a mansard roof with 3, 3-light wedge dormer windows. Gablets to tower heads each with a 5-light mullioned window within ashlar walling.

SIDE ELEVATION (south): separate side entrances to former mixed and women's bars, the former 2 bays wide and of 2 storeys, the latter lower, and with a pedimented door head.

INTERIOR: ground floor altered and remodelled with late C20 bar counter and back bar, in central island location of original. First floor retains original plan form with central bar counter serving former 'mixed 1st class' and 'mens first class' areas. The later is lit by clerestory lights, and is decorated throughout with painted friezes and murals depicting mythological scenes. There are panelled bar counters, overlights with glazing bars, wall panelling, cast-iron fireplace with moulded surround and overmantel panel, with flanking doorway to original toilet area. The mixed 1st class area has fabric-faced panelling which incorporates a 3-light timber mullioned window to light service stair, and a hearth with surround and overmantel panelling. Mullion and transom windows have leaded lights incorporating apple tree motif in upper lights. Panelled bar with overlights and half-glazed doors giving access to main stair with gate restricting access to attic floor.

HISTORY: the 'Carlisle Undertaking' was the most important of the 3 schemes of complete Government control of the supply of intoxicants introduced in 1916. The State Management Board appointed Harry Redfern as its principal architect, and he produced schemes for the remodelling of existing public houses, and designs for 'improved' houses, of which 'The Apple Tree' was the first. Despite interior alterations at ground floor level, the building remains a significant example of the work of the State Management Scheme in Carlisle, which influenced the design of 'improved' public houses throughout Britain in the Inter-War period. The survival of the first floor plan, furnishings and fittings is of particular significance as such provision was regarded as experimental at the time, providing for segregated areas for different combinations of sexes and social classes.

Bibliography: The Renaissance of the English Public House (Basil Oliver). 1947, Page(s) 63-65



Listing NGR: NY4020955931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469182
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Oliver, B, The Renaissance of the English Public House, (1947), 63-65

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16110/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].