BEAUMONT COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1119795
Date first listed:
10-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
BEAUMONT COLLEGE, BURFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEAUMONT COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 15:25:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
BEAUMONT COLLEGE, BURFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Old Windsor
National Grid Reference:
SU9898873260

Details

OLD WINDSOR

SU97SE BURFIELD ROAD 599-1/14/7 (South side (off)) 10/08/51 Beaumont College

GV II*

Large country house in parkland, now offices and training school. Original house 1705 by James Gibbs for Lord Weymouth. Re-built and extended in early C19 by Henry Emlyn of Windsor for Henry Griffiths; altered and extended in 1870 by Hansom; altered and further extended in late C20. MATERIALS: part painted stucco, part stock brick; slate roofs of different heights. PLAN: original house on north-west; C20 extension in similar style, adjoining on north-west. C19 extensions adjoining original house on south-east, forming a large L-plan, with a former service court on the north, closed on the north side by the chapel. There is a C20 extension on the north side of the chapel and a C20 extension on the south end of the 'L'. EXTERIOR: mostly 3 storeys, part 2 and 4 storeys. Several chimneys with clay pots. Sash windows with glazing bars, some without glazing bars. Original house, north-east front: present exterior based on the "Britannic Order" composed and published by Henry Emlyn, of which few examples survive. Symmetrical. 9 bays. Moulded cornice and parapet. 3-bay central feature with pediment and entablature with Prince of Wales feathers in frieze. 2 pairs of round columns in centre and one pair of square columns at either side, the pairs merging on ground floor with joins covered by Garter insignia; and composite capitals also formed of patriotic devices. First and second floors of centrepiece are recessed with cast-iron balcony rail above ground floor; windows have moulded architraves. Ground floor windows have rounded arched heads with radiating glazing bars; the central one has a later, wooden door inserted in the lower part, with 3 steps to stylobate. 3 bay outer sections on either side; the centre ground floor window of each is a 3-light canted bay with balustraded parapet. Original house, south-west front: 9 bays. Central 3 bays projecting with centre window on the ground floor a canted bay



with balustraded parapet. To the right of the original house is a late C19 section of 2 storeys, 7 bays with hipped roof. Windows in stone surrounds those on the ground floor with round arched heads. Adjoining this on the right and forming the corner of the 'L' is a late C19, 3-storey block of 9 and 6 bays. At the south end of this section is a 4-storeyed section with attics in the 'French Chateau' style. 3 bays. Steeply pitched pyramidal roof with a lucarne on each face. Moulded cornice arched over top windows. 2 large chimneys joined by a decorative iron balustrade on the top of the roof. INTERIOR: much altered but retains a good geometrical staircase with iron balustrade and handrail in an apsidal space in the original entrance hall. HISTORY: in 1786 the house was bought by Warren Hastings from the Duke of Cumberland on his return from India for »2,000. He lived there during part of his trial. It was formerly known as Beaumont Lodge and was purchased in 1854 by the Jesuits who established a school for novices in [email protected] (Victoria County History: Vol III: 81; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1975-: 189; Murray's Berkshire: 151).





Listing NGR: SU9898873260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469351
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 81
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 189
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 151

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01517/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Reay. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].