THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119806

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1972

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 00:57:28.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Old Windsor

National Grid Reference: SU 99213 74505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD WINDSOR

SU97SE CHURCH ROAD 599-1/14/14 (South side (off)) 03/03/72 The Priory

II*

House. Mid C18, altered in late C19 or early C20. Built for Richard Bateman, a friend of Horace Walpole pioneer of the "Sharawagge" or Chinoiserie style. Constructed in the 1740s but modified in Gothic style in 1759 when a cloister (since demolished) was added by Richard Bentley; further altered in 1761-2 when a Gothic octagon room was added to designs by Johann Heinrich Muntz. Red brick with stone dressings; tile roof with end brick chimneystacks. EXTERIOR: front of 2 parallel ranges; 2 storeys, 7 windows, the 3 at each side in full height canted bays, now with late C19 windows. Stone coped brick parapet has tall open arch with pyramidal finial over the centre of both bays. 2 steps to replaced central glazed door, recessed in plain reveal. Side elevation has projecting 2 bay brick wing with parapet having panels of intersecting circles, late C19 casements and French windows to ground floor. Large early C20 Jacobean style porch with Tuscan columns and strapwork decoration to frieze. To left is 4 bay single storey brick extension with stone coping pilasters and four 12-pane windows leading to octagonal brick garden room with slate roof and 3 French windows. INTERIOR: the principal interior is the octagon room, designed by Johann Heinrich Muntz in the Gothic style. Ceiling of narrow ribs with plastered tracery supported on half columns cut off at dado level. 4 centred ashed fireplace with green marble lining and Gothic frieze and pilasters. Walls have patterns of large arches and smaller ogees. Doorcase to former cloisters has traceried top half. Entrance hall has ogee arched fireplace. Ground floor rooms have Edwardian panelling. Room to side of entrance porch has Georgian style fireplace with eared architraves, dado panelling, elaborate plastered ceiling with fruit and flowers motifs and heavy brackets. C18 6 panelled door. HISTORY: in Richard Bateman's time the house was called The Grove. (The Origins of the Gothic Revival: McCarthy M: "Windsor Old and New": Yale University Press: 1981-).





Listing NGR: SU9921374505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469362

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McCarthy, M, The Origins of the Gothic Revival, (1981)

End of official listing