Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120104

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1986



Ordnance survey map of GAUNT'S HOUSE (DRUMPTON SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 10:34:54.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Hinton Martell

National Grid Reference: SU 01640 04368


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/30 Gaunt's House (Drumpton School) II

Country house, used as school. Original building 1809. Architect William Evans of Wimborne, for Sir Richard Carr Glyn. Greatly enlarged and refaced, 1887. Architect George Devey. Brick walls, slate roofs with parapets and coped gables. Brick stacks set irregularly. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Main entrance front has, at left end, a square, 4-storeyed tower, with battlemented parapet on corbel table. Raised brick quoins. 2 plain sashes on first floor, one on second floor, 3 on third floor. Right of the tower a range with 5 Flemish style gables; the centre bay projecting slightly. In this bay, ground and first floors each have 2 plain triple sashes, under brick hoodmoulds, one similar sash in attic. Left of bay, ground and first floors each have 3 plain sashes under hoodmoulds; hoodmoulds on first floor linked by string course. 2 similar sashes in attic. Right of the bay, 2 similar sashes on each floor and, at right end, an open stone portico with flat roof and cornice supported on pairs of Ionic columns. (This may be the original entrance - re-set). On the main roof an octagonal timber bell turret with ogee shaped lead cap and weathervane. At right end of the house the original 1809 villa projects forward. This also of 2 storeys and attic. Central multi-flue stack with ornamental cap. 2 Flemish style gables linked by balustraded parapet. On ground floor, the original entrance replaced by a Venetian window, with Tuscan pilasters. In the solid tympanum, a terra-cotta bust of Queen Victoria, with inscriptions commemorating the original building and its extension, - marking Jubilee Year. Flanking this, on ground floor, 2 sashes with glazing bars each side, with ornamental terra-cotta plaques over. 5 similar sashes on first floor, with stone band course below cills. 2 plain sashes in attic. At right end a single storey extension with open parapet. At left end a range of single storey attached outbuildings. Internally, in original house, stone stair with iron balustrade. Good ornamental plaster ceiling in Drawing Room. Other rooms have enriched cornices, and fireplace surrounds. Some mahogany panelled doors. Reputedly Devey's last work (R.C.H.M. Monument 2 Dorset Vol V The Buildings of England. Dorset. Newman and Pevsner. Hutchins' History of Dorset, III. 244).

Listing NGR: SU0164004368


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107488

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975)
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 244
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

End of official listing