Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1120524

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE


Ordnance survey map of THE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 09:11:53.


Statutory Address: THE GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Chaldon Herring

National Grid Reference: SY 79044 83101


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SY 7883, SY 7983 13/78 CHALDON HERRING EAST CHALDON 20.11.59 The Grange. Formerly listed as Manor House


House. C16 origin, partly remodelled in C18, altered and enlarged in C19. Stone walls. Lower slopes of roof stone slated, upper slopes tiled. Brick stacks. Two storeys and attics. Original building has large central hall, with parlour on east and kitchen on west. Circular stone stair - C16, in square turret at rear of east end of hall. C18 stair tower adjoining this on west (ie in centre of south wall of hall). C19 lean-to additions at rear, mostly recently demolished, leaving two small single-storey blocks, with brick and stone walls, and tiled roofs. Demolition of lean-to has revealed evidence of earlier two-storeyed projecting wing at the rear of the kitchen. Main front (north) wall rebuilt in C18 in ashlar. Symmetrical design. Central 6-panel door and fanlight, with moulded stone jambs and head - apparently re-used C16 work. Ground floor has six double-hung sash windows with glazing bars, in moulded stone surrounds (apparently re-used C16 work), with added keystones. First floor has seven similar windows. Attic has four dormers with hipped tiled roofs, and horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars. Rear elevation. At east, (parlour) end, ground and first floors have modern stone mullioned windows - probably replacing C16 windows. C16 stair turret has external doorway with chamfered stone surround, and plain C16 windows. C18 stair tower has one double hung sash window with glazing bars, in a moulded stone surround with cambered head - probably re-used C16 work. One dormer above this with hipped roof and horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars. Single-storey rear extensions have timber casement windows with glazing bars. At west - (kitchen) end, ground floor has door with timber lintel, and one double-hung sash window with glazing bars. Brick walls link the house with stables at rear, forming a courtyard. Cast iron pump in courtyard, with stone trough. Internally, C16 stone spiral stair survives. Archway from hall, leading to stair, has moulded stone surround and cambered head - (part reconstructed). C18 stair, of open well form, has turned balusters and moulded handrail. First floor rooms have C18 cornices and raised panel doors. Room over kitchen has simple panelling. Cross-walls in corridors have arches with moulded linings. Brick garden walls, with brick piers. Part - built-up archway, of re-used C16 stonework in wall east of house, has date 1737 cut in arch - probably that of re-use. RCHM Monument 3.

Listing NGR: SY7904483101


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108536

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing