CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1120678
Date first listed:
06-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120678.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:44:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27585 41915

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE CHURCH STREET NZ 2741 NE (West side)

17/50 Church of St. Oswald 6.5.52 GV II*

Parish church. Late C12; probably on site of earlier church; extensively rebuilt 1834 by Ignatius Bonomi (chancel, south aisle, west part of north wall, clerestory). Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof damaged by fire at time of survey. West tower, aisled nave, chancel with 1864 north vestry, by Hodgson Fowler.

4-stage tower has renewed 4-light west window and blank north and south first stage; small 2-light windows above with cusped ogee heads; very small square windows in third stage; tall 2-light belfry openings with 2-centred heads. Diagonal buttresses with offsets; battlemented parapet with corner gargoyles and pinnacles. Buttressed south aisle has renewed moulded 2-centred arch in first bay under ogee-headed niche with blind tracery above; (plainer door in first bay of north aisle); 2-light windows in 2-centred arches; parapet with sloped coping. Tudor arches over clerestory windows with 3 cusped lights; battlemented parapet on shafts. 3-bay chancel has 3 cusped lights; east front has high gable containing 4-light window with reticulated tracery flanked by large diagonal buttresses; niches in these contain statues under crocketed gablets; spirelets have acanthus finials. North aisle windows: Decorated in 2 west bays separated by large buttress from 2 east bays with Perpendicular windows, all of 2 lights. Interior: plaster with sandstone ashlar arcades and dressings; low-pitched roof has king posts flanked by 4 queen posts each side; re-used purlins: alternate trusses rest on re-used braces with angels and masks, said to be from earlier hammer-beam roof. Nave arcades have chamfered round arches on keeled shafts and 3 round columns at east end; 2 octagonal columns and octagonal half-columns at west end; 2-centred slightly-chamfered chancel arch on water-leaf capitals and square piers with broach-stopped chamfers. North aisle of 2 stages: eastern 3 bays end in transverse arch and have C16 panelled roof with moulded beams and bosses,now with decoration removed. Tower has tall double-chamfered arch with moulded square capitals; square-headed door to stone spiral stair, formed from medieval grave-covers; 8- ribbed vault with wide circular central rib. Glass in west window 1864-6 by Morris and Co. with panels by Ford Madox Brown; other windows by Kempe and Co. and by Clayton and Bell. Undergoing repairs at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NZ2758541915

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110099
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11474/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].