This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEAUREPAIRE MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEAUREPAIRE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1120721

Location

BEAUREPAIRE MANOR HOUSE, BEARPARK COLLIERY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bearpark

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109995

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEARPARK BEARPARK COLLIERY ROAD NZ 24 SW (North end, off) 5/6 Beaurepaire Manor House. 28/2/52 (Formerly listed as Bear Park remains, in Witton Gilbert C.P.)

GV II

Ruins of manor house of Prior of Durham. C13-C16. Sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings. No roof survives. E-plan. 5 ranges round 2 courtyards open to west, sloping down from top of north bank of River Browney. Highest surviving wall c.4 metres; most c.1-2 metres high. C13 north-south hall with cross wings and west extensions; fragments of further C13 building to north overlaid by C14 cross wing added to earlier C14 north-south room. Architectural features include small chamfered rectangular window on east elevation, several fragments of stairs, and drains. After the Dissolution the buildings became the property of the Dean of Durham and their subsequent use is not clear, although principally agricultural. In 1640 and 1644 most of the buildings were demolished by the Scottish army. Sources: Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports for 1980, pp. 94-7; for 1981, 59-61; for 1982, 71-4; for 1983, 81-4. C.B.A.3 Newsbulletin 2nd. series, No. 21 (December 1983) and n.d. (April 1985), all by P.A.G. Clack.

Listing NGR: NZ2430843906

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports' in Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports, (1983), 81-4
'Second Series' in Newsbulletin, (1985)
'Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports' in Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports, (1980), 94-7
'Second Series' in Newsbulletin, , Vol. 21, (1983)
'Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports' in Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports, (1981), 59-61
'Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports' in Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Reports, (1982), 71-4

National Grid Reference: NZ 24308 43906

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:31:05.

End of official listing