CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1120940
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:07:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castle Eden
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42806 38455

Details

NZ 4238 CASTLE EDEN THE VILLAGE (East side, off)

10/13 Church of St. James 20/2/67 II

Parish church. Dated 1764 and incorporating medieval masonry in west end and tower; aisles added c.1800; chancel rebuilt and organ chamber added in 1896. Possibly by William Newton for Rowland Burdon I. Dressed and ashlar limestone with quoins; sandstone window surrounds; green slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave, chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Early Gothick with pointed-arched windows in raised surrounds. West tower has 3 stepped stages, embattled belfry and octagonal lead-covered spire with weathercock; each stage has pointed openings to front and quatrefoils (some blocked) to returns; C20 external stairs to first floor porch and door. Single 8-pane windows high in flanking west aisle walls. 3-bay nave has low plinth, 3 similar windows and low-pitched roof with coped gables and shaped kneelers; C19 gabled bellcote near east end of north wall. 2-bay chancel has similar features; Venetian east window with pointed centre light. Vestry and organ chamber under low-pitched lean-to roofs.

Interior: each aisle has 2 unfluted Corinthian columns on tall bases; C19 wood west gallery. Coved ceiling with exposed tie beams. Semicircular chancel arch with smaller similar flanking openings; early C20 screen incorporating early C18 carved woodwork with flower and leaf motifs; encaustic-tiled chancel floor and coved, panelled, painted ceiling of 1896. Fittings: marble wall monument, on north chancel wall, to Rowland Burdon II (died 1838); 2 early, coped grave covers in east wall of organ chamber; brass memorial plaque, on east wall of south aisle, to W.S. Hicks (died 1902 "whose last completed work was the redecoration of this church"); oval marble tablet, in vestry, commemorates the rebuilding of the church in 1764; C18 oval font of marble on baluster shaft at west end of nave. Stained glass: 2 windows of c.1915 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne of London; memorial window of 1949 to Rowland Burdon (1857-1948) by L.C. Evetts.

Listing NGR: NZ4280638455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109425
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01236/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].