HERMITAGE HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120954

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1997

Statutory Address: HERMITAGE HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE, DURHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HERMITAGE HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:03:47.

Location

Statutory Address: HERMITAGE HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE, DURHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 26775 49940

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/06/2012

NZ 24 NE 1387/7/25 29/7/50

CHESTER-LE-STREET DURHAM ROAD (west side, off) Hermitage Hospital and attached former stables and coach house

(formerly listed as The Hermitage, A167 (T))

GV II

Large house, now a miners' rehabilitation centre. c1820. Dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. 4 ranges round a rectangular courtyard. Tudor style. Long 2-storey entrance front with 3-bay centre flanked by wide canted bays. Low plinth and first floor string. Central stone porch with pair of 3-panel doors and pierced parapet with octagonal corner piers and spike finials. 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, with 2 transoms, flanking porch. Cross windows with replaced casements in other bays, elongated on ground floor of canted bays. Tall parapet, above string, has raised centre containing carved round-arched panel with coat-of-arms. Regularly spaced spike finials on parapet. Low-pitched hipped roof. 2 ridge chimneys; each with 4 conjoined and corniced octagonal stacks. Set-back bay and later 2-storey additions on right return in similar style. Left return has similar details and bracketed first-floor balcony. 3-storey square-plan tower on left rear has canted ground-floor bay window and pierced parapet. Adjoining north-west corner, stable range and coach house. Stable range, single storey, has hipped roof and irregular openings. Near the centre, a mounting block. Coach house, 2 storeys, 3 window range, has hipped roof. To left, 2 elliptical arched carriage openings, that to the right with double plank doors. To right, a large cross-casement, reglazed, and a door with overlight. Above, an off-centre window flanked to left by Yorkshire sash and to right by a tripartite sash. All these windows have glazing bars. Interior has entrance hall with 5-bay round-arched arcade in front of staircase. Several rooms with late C17-style features, including bolection moulded fireplaces. Several 4-panel doors in architraves.



Listing NGR: NZ2677549940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109371

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing