CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1120988
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 19:41:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bournmoor
National Grid Reference:
NZ 30933 51508

Details

BOURNMOOR CHESTER ROAD NZ 35 SW (South side) Bournmoor 5/7 Church of St. Barnabas II

Parish church. 1867-8 by Johnson and Hicks; north aisle heightened and enlarged 1881-2 by A.C. Hicks; chancel decorated 1888 probably by W.S. Hicks. Polychrome brick (buff with red and purple bands, diapers etc.); graduated green slate roof. Aisled nave with south porch; chancel with north vestries. Early English and Decorated style.

Continuous moulded plinth and sill bands; buttressed bay divisions. 3-bay nave: 3-light pointed window and gabled bellcote, with 2 low openings, on west; 2-order pointed doorway with colonnettes inside porch; high-pitched roof. South aisle: lancets on returns; 2- and 3-light grouped lancets on south; pent roof. Tall north aisle: square-headed 3-light windows and moulded parapet on north; similar 4-light window and stepped parapet on angle-buttressed west return. Tall 2-bay chancel: 2-light pointed windows on south; similar 3-light window on angle-buttressed east end; high-pitched roof. Gabled porch has moulded 2-order pointed archway with colonnettes; carved stone Christ in mandorla above. Gabled choir vestry and flat-roofed Vicar's vestry have mullioned windows; Vicar's vestry has stepped moulded parapet and 3 conjoined octagonal stacks. Richly-decorated polychrome brick interior with contemporary fittings. Nave: 3-bay hollow-chamfered pointed stone arcades on squat cylindrical piers with moulded bases and stiff-leaf capitals; circular stone font at west has bowl carved with New Testament scenes; arcaded stone pulpit. Large white marble Angel of Victory in north aisle, 1894 by Waldo Storey, commemorating 3rd and 4th Earls of Durham. Chancel: double-chamfered arch on stiff-leaf corbels; 2 steps to sanctuary with encaustic-tiled floor; elaborate rood screen, panelling, reredos and mural decoration; brass altar rail on scrolled supports; compartmented barrel-vaulted ceiling with moulded ribs and painted floral panels; south windows have moulded rear-arches with colonnettes; contemporary organ and choir stalls. Stained glass by Morris and Co: 1919 on chancel south side (3 saints) and east end of south aisle (to Sara Reynolds); 1922 at west end of south aisle (David and Goliath).

(Thomas Westgarth, The Story of the Parish Church of Burnmoor, County Durham, 2nd edition 1968).

Listing NGR: NZ3093351508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109353
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Westgarth, T, The Story of the Parish Church of Burnmoor County Durham, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00708/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Teasdale. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].