This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOTHEBOYS HALL AND FORMER COACH HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOTHEBOYS HALL AND FORMER COACH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1121040

Location

DOTHEBOYS HALL AND FORMER COACH HOUSE, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bowes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111196

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 91 SE and NY 9913 19/34 and 33/34 12/1/67

BOWES THE STREET (South side) Dotheboys Hall and former coach-house (Formerly listed as Dotheboys Hall) II GV Large house formerly the Bowes Academy, now divided into 7 flats. Late C18- early C19 house with late C20 alterations; late C19 coach-house. Dressed sandstone. Graduated green slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. L-plan main block (garden front and right return wing) with coach-house attached to left of garden front and service wing attached at right-angles to rear of right return wing.

2-storey, irregular 7-bay garden front with flush quoins. Replaced door and radial fanlight in moulded round-arched surround in bay 6; flanking late C19 canted bay windows. Four 2-pane sashes in moulded surrounds with projecting sills to left. 2-pane sashes above in identical surrounds. Low-pitched hipped roof. 3 ridge stacks with top bands.

Coach-house: one-storey, 2-bay centre with blocked round arches and an embattled parapet with pyramidal coping stones; flanking taller square-plan towers break forward and have pyramidal roofs with ball finials.

2-storey, irregular 7-bay right return wing has scattered 4-pane sashes; pair of rusticated coach arches, with late C20 glazing, towards rear. Low-pitched roof hipped at rear.

One-storey service wing has replaced windows and a low-pitched roof.

Dotheboys Hall, formerly the Bowes Academy, a private school for 200 boys run by William Shaw, was visited by Charles Dickens on February 2nd, 1838. Outraged by its disgraceful conditions Dickens, in his novel Nicholas Nickleby, exposed the Academy and its principal (as Wackford Squeers) thereby creating a public outcry that forced many such schools, including the Bowes Academy, to close down.

Listed for historical interest.

(John Manning, Dickens on Education, 1959).

Listing NGR: NY9900713540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Manning, J, Dickens on Education, (1959)

National Grid Reference: NY9900713540

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:32:21.

End of official listing