CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1121335
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS, SOUTH BAILEY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121335.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:30:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS, SOUTH BAILEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27339 41955

Details

NZ 2741 NW, 16/440 DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE SOUTH BAILEY (West side)

Church of St Mary the Less

GV

II

Parish church, now college chapel. C12 rebuilt 1846-7 by Pickering, incorporating some original material. Irregularly-coursed squared sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave and south porch; chancel. Neo-Norman style. 4-bay nave has shallow porch in second bay: round-headed double door in shafted surround with chevron moulding under steeply-pitched gable with moulded kneelers. 3 large round- headed windows have shafts with cushion capitals; sill string; bracketed eaves. 2-bay chancel has moulded surrounds and head-stopped dripmoulds to round-headed windows, that at left smaller and transferred from original church. Large round-headed east and west windows. West bellcote has 2 round arches under gable.

Memorial slabs built into south wall under first window to right of porch: (Frosterley marble) to Dorothy and Frances Carnaby (died 1684 and 1692) and to right of that, Joan Lever wife of Cuthbert (died 1669).

Interior: plaster above-boarded dado, which has battlemented top, in nave; chancel plaster above C17 carved panelling which has cherubs' heads, Gothic tracery and pinnacles. Head corbels support arch-braced collar and king-post roof, with stencilled stars painted on chancel ceiling. Chancel arch incorporates chevron moulding and is flanked by 2 lower segments set in wall. Door has roll-moulded chevron surround; lozenge-moulded drip string on griffin stops; diaper pattern in panel above to gable. Shouldered- arched north vestry, door under mandorla with seated Christ and symbols of Evangelists. Cross-slab in south wall with interlaced 8-arm cross and sword. Painted wood memorial panels to members of Butler family died 1708 and 1710; and to John Butler - 'a zealous protestant' - died 1597. Large dark funeral hatchment over chancel arch. Gothic memorial at west end to Martin Dunn, mayor, died 1838.

Listing NGR: NZ2733941955

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110498
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03606/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].