CHURCH OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121451

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE, THE GREEN (CENTRE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:35:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE, THE GREEN (CENTRE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Trimdon

National Grid Reference: NZ 37063 34224

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 33 SE TRIMDON THE GREEN (centre)

8/79 Church of St. 9/1/68 Mary Magdalene

GV II

Parish church. Norman and later medieval; C19 alterations including 1873-4 north aisle by W. and J. Hay of Liverpool. 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Sandstone rubble, with partial boulder plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; some brick at ground level at east end; Welsh slate roof. Gabled porch has slightly-chamfered round-headed arch to boarded door. 2-light nave windows under relieving arches have been inserted to replace sash windows, of which straight joints are evidence. Lower chancel has low-side window with hollow chamfer and round arch; 2 trefoil-headed C19 lights flanking priest's door in 2-centred arch; 3-light east window with tracery. West elevation has central buttress with offsets rising to simple gable bellcote; single window in west end of aisle. Roof on raised eaves, south elevation showing offset at original eaves level. Cruciform angelus finial; iron cross chancel finial. Catslide roof on aisle.

Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced roof on roll- moulded stone corbels, some on south medieval; all rafters collared, with blocking panels above collars of principals; one large purlin, slightly trenched. Depressed round-headed chancel arch, now elliptical, on imposts and chamfered square shafts, the north with broach stops. Arcade of roll- moulded 2-centred arches on round piers with moulded caps and plinths. South wall battered. Rerearches, all deeply splayed. C19 octagonal pedestal font on round shaft with stiff-leaf capital. Boarded pine pews with shaped ends. Glass mostly plain, with some coloured quarries; low-side window has 1873 medallion glass, gift of church warden. Monuments include small brass in south chancel wall, with well-cut inscription 'Quam vixit erga cognatos pius et officiosus - Hocce aes testetur' to Bryan Lencester (sic), died 1759 aged 48, with 'H.S.J.' at head. Eroded stone memorial in chancel floor.

Listing NGR: NZ3706334224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 112279

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing