CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1121472
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121472.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:17:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ferryhill
National Grid Reference:
NZ 28842 32705

Details

NZ 23 SE FERRYHILL CHURCH LANE (South side)

6/22 Church of St Luke

9/1/68

GV

II

Parish church. 1853 by G. Pickering; 1851 decision to replace 1820 chapel by Bonomi. Coursed limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and stone ridge. Nave with north porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled porch has boarded door with elaborate hinges in deep moulded surround with head-stopped dripmould. 4-bay nave has lancets, paired in second- bay from east, and plate tracery in 2-light window in east bay on north, and in westernmost bay on south; cusped lancets in set-back chancel, stepped in east elevation, and tracery in west bay on south. High gabled west bellcote with central buttress. Coped buttresses in nave, gabled angle buttresses to chancel. Small stone turret at junction of vestry and chancel roofs.

Interior shows painted plaster above boarded dado; wall-posts (stone-corbelled, and longer between windows), support arch-braced collars with struts to principal rafters, and short king posts. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner on nail-head-patterned shafts on head corbels. Rere-arches to chancel windows. 1952 west gallery with organ. Glass includes 1953 L.C. Evetts east windows. Gothic-style carved wood altar with symbols of Passion in front panels. Octagonal stone pedestal font with single blank shield, and wrought iron straps on wood cover. Roll-moulded squared ends on pews. South nave wall monument to members of Tiplady family, died 1789 and 1809: marble with pilasters and fret panel below cornice; transferred from earlier chapel.

Sources: W. Fordyce, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, 1857; p.441.

Ferryhill Village Women's Institute, History of Ferryhill Village, (typescript in Ferryhill Library).

Church vestry minute book of 1851 reference to plans by Mr. Pickering.

Listing NGR: NZ2884232705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112229
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
History of Ferryhill Village
Fordyce, W, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1857), 441

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10724/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].