This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

METHODIST CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: METHODIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1121560

Location

METHODIST CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newbiggin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111958

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWBIGGIN NEWBIGGIN NY 92 NW 14/156 (inset) Methodist Chapel 20.5.87 GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. 1759, enlarged 1860. Pecked sandstone ashlar front, rubble left return and rear with ashlar dressings and millstone grit quoins; plinth. Roof of graduated green slates. One high storey, 3 bays. Wide step to central 4-panel double door in keyed round-headed surround; impost blocks form base of high corniced panel over door, inscribed WESLEYAN CHAPEL ERECTED 1760 ENLARGED 1860, in Roman capitals. High flanking windows have keyed round heads with voussoirs,and stone sills, all projecting. Left return has blocked window with flat stone lintel; rear has 2 round-headed windows; all windows have glazing bars. Interior shows west pulpit with single side steps, and short communion rail on flower-patterned wrought iron balustrade, brought from Bowlees Methodist Chapel. Simple pulpit, with raised fielded panelling, in north-west corner original to the building although at one time used at Low Houses. Tiered pews, boarded dado and walls are of 1860, as are the ceiling cornice and 4 fret-carved round wood ventilation panels. Large cast iron free-standing stove "The Romesse.", by Smith and Wellstood Limited, Columbian Stove Works, Bonnybridge, Scotland. C19 coloured glass in top lights of windows.

The 1860 enlargement seems to have consisted of raising the eaves and installing the tiered pews rather than an increase in area. John Wesley preached here.

Source: H.L. Beadle, The Beginning of Methodism in Upper Teesdale, 1980.

Listing NGR: NY9153027670

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beadle, H L, The Beginning of Methodism in Upper Teesdale, (1980)

National Grid Reference: NY 91530 27670

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:05:23.

End of official listing