CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121664

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 20:42:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hutton Magna

National Grid Reference: NZ 12637 12477

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 11 SW HUTTON MAGNA HUTTON MAGNA VILLAGE (West side)

7/109 Church of St. Mary

12.1.67

GV II

Parish church. 1878 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks, incorporating some features from medieval church. Rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Nave and chancel, with south-west porch and north-east vestry. Free late C13 style.

Nave has trefoil-headed west window and coped gable carrying bellcote with twin segment-headed openings; swept cross-gabled coping with wrought-iron finial. Porch has double-chamfered arch and coped gable on trefoiled kneelers, with cross finial.C19 boarded door, with foliate hinges, in re-set C12 round arch with chamfered imposts and hood with head stops. Two 2-light windows east of porch; three 2-light windows on north, the eastern c.1260 with 2 lancet lights and a vesica over. Chancel south wall slightly recessed, below carved cornice; 2- and 3-light windows; sill string, stepped up to east. Shallow buttresses flank 3-light east window; coped gable with cross fleury finial. North vestry window re-uses medieval head: 2 trefoiled lights with circle over, and hoodmould.

Interior: Plastered, no structural division. Boarded wagon roof, with carved wall-plate in chancel. Carved chancel screen. Wood-panelled east end with painted scenes from the life of Christ, and central carved stone reredos. Sanctuary has marble steps and tiled floor. Re-set medieval moulded piscina bowl. Glass: late C19 Nativity in chancel south-west window. Old brass lamp fittings still in use. Set into west-wall an incised C14 slab with cusped cross, sword, blacksmith's tongs and hammer. In porch an old font bowl and, built into walls, two small C12 window heads and C13/14 headstone or finial cross.

Listing NGR: NZ1263712477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111698

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing