CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1121673
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, A66

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 21:22:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, A66

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rokeby
National Grid Reference:
NZ 07257 13808

Details

In the entry for:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II

the entry shall be amended to read as follows:-

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St Mary

12.1.67 II*(Star)

------------------------------------

NZ 01 SE ROKEBY A66 (North side)

6/123 Church of St. Mary

12.1.67 II

Parish Church. Consecrated 1778, probably designed by Sir Thomas Robinson, chancel and organ chamber added 1877. Squared stone with ashlar plinth, wall face to sill band, porch and bellcote; chancel rough-faced-stone with ashlar dressings. Graduated stone slate nave roof, graduated Lakeland slates on C19 parts. Aisleless 3-bay nave with west porch; narrower chancel with south organ chamber and vestry. Liturgical west end faces south. C18 parts in Classical style; C19 parts in a hybrid classical/Romanesque.

Central west porch with 5 steps up to panelled double doors under 3-pane fanlight in round arch on moulded imposts; paterae in spandrels, and pediment. Flanking blind round-arched windows. Block cornice below pedimented gable with blind oculus. Bellcote with round arch, pediment and Greek finial cross. Side walls of nave have 3 plain arched windows with later glazing; similar cornice.

Chancel and organ chamber/vestry over basements; sill and impost bands, round- arched windows, 3 stepped in the east end, pedimented gables. Chancel undercroft has segmental-arched entrance at east end and round-headed slit windows.

Interior: Groin-vaulted porch; panelled double doors to nave under an arched 3-pane fanlight in raised panel with moulded impost band and cornice. Panelled-round chancel arch on paired consoles, round arch to organ chamber; moulded sill band. King-post roofs. Free-standing font by Mason: mahogany, fluted bowl on slender tripod base. Marble mural tablets in nave: Sir Septimus Robinson d.1777, by Nollekens; John Sawrey Morritt d.l79l by Westmacott; J.B.S. Morritt d.1843 and W.J.S. Morritt d.1878.

Historical note: The church is very similar to Robinson's church at Glynde in Sussex; it was unfurnished when Robinson sold the Rokeby estate in 1769, when J.S. Morritt commissioned John Carr to complete the work.

Listing NGR: NZ0725713808

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111712
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10376/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].