This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GUN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GUN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1122308

Location

THE GUN HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Steeple Bumpstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL64 SE STEEPLE BUMPSTEAD CHURCH STREET 2/57 The Gun House, (formerly 7/8/52 listed as Parsonage Farmhouse) GV II*

Hall house, C15 or earlier, extended in C16 and Cl9. Mainly timber framed and plastered, partly of painted brick in English bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay hall aligned NE-SW, C15 or earlier. 2-bay SW crosswing of brick, late C16, with contemporary external chimney stack on SW wall. 3-bay NE crosswing jettied on 3 sides, with central chimney stack, c.1600, forming an H-plan. Stair tower in S angle, c.1600. C19 single-storey extension to SE of SW wing. 2 storeys and attics in NE wing, one storey and attic in hall range, 2 storeys in SW wing. NW elevation, half-glazed door, 2 C20 casement windows, 2 C20 double-hung sash windows. The NE wing has a moulded bressumer. The SW wing is splayed at the ground floor with a blocked original window in each splay, one exhibiting a 2-centred arch, and has a jetty above. First floor, 3 C20 casement windows, of which one is in a gabled dormer. Attic floor, one C19/20 casement window. Grouped diagonal shafts on SW stack, rebuilt at top. The interior has jowled posts and heavy studding. The hall has an internal jetty at the NE end, a rare feature in Essex, and the line of the cross-entry below it is still in use. There is exposed studding with display bracing at the SW end, at ground-floor level. A floor is inserted on pegged clamps, late C16. The main tiebeam is steeply cambered, originally with deep arched braces which have been cut back. Originally the roof was of crownpost construction, but it has been rebuilt in the C17 in clasped purlin form, leaving a few pairs of smoke-blackened rafters in situ. At the NE end the upper studs retain original plastered wattle and daub infill, heavily smoke-blackened. The SW crosswing has a plain-chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, and late C16 oak panelling on the NE wall. There is similar panelling on the SE wall of the hall. The NE crosswing is divided at both floors into 2 and one bays, with an arched doorhead between them on the first floor, partly obscured by modern timber. The binding beams are plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, with plain joists of square section. On the upper floor there is arched bracing trenched inside the studding. There is a C17 inserted ceiling above the first floor, on plain-chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops. The roof is of clasped purlin construction. This house was originally arranged with the service end to the NE, the parlour/solar end to the SW. In the late C16 the original parlour/solar end was demolished and replaced by the present brick wing. A chimney stack was inserted near the SW end of the hall (which now terminates below roof level) and a floor was inserted in the hall. About the end of the C16, as standards of domestic accommodation continued to rise, the original service end was demolished and the present NE wing built as parlour and solar, reversing the earlier arrangement of the house. In the C19 a service wing was added to the SW wing, and it still retains that function. The position, only 60 metres from the church, suggests that it was a priest's house originally, and the former name confirms that it became a parsonage after the Reformation. RCHM 16.

Listing NGR: TL6795641029

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 67956 41029

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:35:53.

End of official listing