CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1122381
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT AND ALL SAINTS, OTTEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 03:46:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT AND ALL SAINTS, OTTEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Belchamp Otten
National Grid Reference:
TL 80331 41765

Details

TL 84 SW BELCHAMP OTTEN OTTEN ROAD 4/5 Church of St. 21.6.62 Ethelbert and All Saints

GV I

Church. Circa 1130 Nave. C13 Chancel with some late C14 re-building. Late C14 South porch with C15 Arch. Late C15 Bell Turret possibly with C17 and C19 repairs. C19 North Porch. Of flint rubble at one time cement rendered, dressings of limestone and clunch The mainly C19 rebuilt belfry is crenellated and rendered and has 2 light louvred openings to each face. Red plain tiled roofs. Stone coping to east gable of Nave with C15 Apex stone, the stump of a former cross. Chancel. East window of 3 trefoiled lights under segmental head, the moulded rear arch C13. In North and South walls are 2 late C14 windows of 2 trefoiled lights under square heads with moulded labels. Late C14 Chancel Arch is two centred of 2 moulded orders dying onto the plain hollow chamfered responds. Plain 2 centred piscina in south wall. Roof C15 of 7 cants with scissor braces and moulded wall plate. Communion Rails. Early C18 moulded rail and twisted baluster. Brick floor with C14 tomb with raised central cross ridge and ornamentation. Glass C14 bordered heads to North East and South East windows. Nave South windows C15 of two trefoiled lights under a square head and 3 ogee lights under a square head. North window C14 of 3 cinquefoil lights with tracery in a 4 centre head under a moulded label. North doorway with C12 chamfered jambs and a C16 four centred arch. Splays and rear arch original. C19/20 west window of 2 lights in 2 centred arch. South Doorway circa 1130 2 order semi-circular arch, the inner roll moulded the outer enriched with chevrons. Jambs of 2 shafted orders, spirally fluted and beaded with cable moulded bases, the capitals carved and scalloped with moulded abaci. One west capital has been reversed. The depressed rear arch C14/15. Vertically boarded door with 4 ornate hinges. Roof of 7 cants, plastered. Bell Turret at west end originally on portal frames, now on 4 eastern posts, the central pair of which are carved with guilloche pattern. North East of these supports is a small panelled gallery approached by a ladder. Box pews to North and South above which is a plain tie beam. On the West wall are two boards with painted Exodus 1/4 and 5/10. Font. C15 octagonal, quatrefoil panelled bowl with crenellated rim. The stem panelled 2 lights with quatrefoils over. Moulded base. Plain timber octagonal ribbed cover with octagonal finial. Pulpit. Late C16 Oak octagonal with the upper panels enriched with arcades. Glass. Fragments of tabernacle work of C14 and C15. South Porch has a C15 outer archway, 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders, the east and west windows are C15 of 2 cinquefoil lights under square heads, with segmental outer order of brick. The roof is of 7 cants with crenellated wall plates. Water stoup in North East corner. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8033141765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
113961
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].