This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CASTLE HEDINGHAM UNITED REFORM CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CASTLE HEDINGHAM UNITED REFORM CHURCH

List entry Number: 1122952

Location

CASTLE HEDINGHAM UNITED REFORM CHURCH, QUEEN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Castle Hedingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114603

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NE CASTLE HEDINGHAM QUEEN STREET (West side)

15.10.84 Castle Headington United Reform Church (Formerly listed as: QUEEN STREET (WEST SIDE) Congregational Chapel)

GV II*

Chapel. Circa 1842, possibly by James Fenton, replacing an earlier building of 1708. Classical building of gault brick with stone dressings and grey slate roof. 2 storeys. 7 bays. The central 5 bays break forward with pediment, projecting eaves with moulded cornice, pilasters to right and left, and 3 forward centre bays. Central stone band. 1:1:3:1:1 window range to first floor, 1:3:1 window range to ground floor, small paned with glazed margins and gauged brick arches. First floor with semi-circular moulded stone heads and moulded stone labels to right and left windows. Two-panelled double doors with glazed margin lights over, stone pilasters with capitals and plain friezes to right and left of central bays. Semi-circular louvre to pediment. Side elevations have a front projecting bay with blank round-headed window and three further bays with round-headed windows to galleries and cambered headed windows below. Interior retains C18 pulpit from which Dr Isaac Watts is said to have preached, probably from the earlier chapel, but otherwise is almost entirely of 1842. Galleries on three sides, supported on slender cast iron columns and an unusually complete set of box pews to galleries and main body of the chapel. The front row centre pews were cut away to insert a later C19 wooden enclosure in front of the pulpit. Plaster ceiling rose and four circular ventilation holes. Three marble wall tablets of 1822, 1836 and 1883.

Listing NGR: TL7840535390

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 78405 35390

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:12:05.

End of official listing