TILBURY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1122988

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: TILBURY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TILBURY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 18:55:14.

Location

Statutory Address: TILBURY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Tilbury Juxta Clare

National Grid Reference: TL 75834 40069

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 74 SE TILBURY-JUXTA-CLARE 2/12 Tilbury Hall 7.8.1952 II* House, C14 and C16, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Service crosswing aligned NE-SW, originally of 4 bays, reduced to 3, of a C14 aisled hall formerly sited to the SE, of which only fragments remain. On its site is a 2-storey 'hall' block, late C15/early C16, with a contemporary stair tower in the E angle, with catslide roof. Late C16 extension to NE of crosswing, jettied at the end, with later chimney stack through jetty. C18 external chimney stack to SE, terminating at eaves. 2-bay extension to NW of crosswing with internal chimney stack at junction, and external chimney stack at end, late C16, and C19 single-storey extension beyond. C18/C19 extension in N angle. The whole forms a T-plan, with the long elevation to the SW, now forming the entrance front; this was the rear elevation originally. All the most important architectural features face NE, towards the parish church. 2 storeys with attics. C20 door, 4 tripartite double-hung sash windows of 4-12-4 lights, of which 2 are early C19 and 2 are C20 reproductions, 2 early C19 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights. First floor, 3 early C19 tripartite windows. In attic gable, one C20 double-hung sash window of 12 lights. In SE gable, first floor doorway with 4-centred head, reduced to form a window. The internal chimney stack has 2 diagonal and one square shafts with broached and dentilled base. The NW stack has 2 diagonal shafts, rebuilt. 2 plain brackets are exposed below the NE jetty. The C14 crosswing has exposed joists with central tenon jointing and a blocked stair trap, multiple display bracing on the SE side, smoke-blackened, jowled posts, crownpost roof (incomplete). On the first floor there are 2 elaborately moulded doorways and a third incomplete, early C16. Of the former aisled hall only one arcade post and a short length of tiebeam are visible. The hall block to the SE has double-ogee mouldings on posts and binding beams, exposed plain joists of horizontal section, and evidence of a former dais at the SE end. On the first floor the blocked doorway already mentioned is hollow-moulded, with carvings of lions' heads in the spandrels of the arched head. The wallplates have edge- halved and bridled scarfs and double-ogee mouldings (one section replaced); the central tiebeam is missing and the roof is altered. There is an inserted window in the NE wall with 2 ovolo mullions. The NE extension has a cellar, the ground floor missing, and a frieze window, fully ovolo-moulded, across the entire width, partly blocked by the later chimney stack. There is evidence of a similar frieze window on the first floor, but concealed by the panelling of c.1600 which lines the end room. The roof is of clasped purlin construction. The NW extension has chamfered beams, and plain joists of horizontal section exposed in one room. In the NE wall there is one original window on the ground floor and two on the first floor with ovolo-moulded jambs, mullions and transoms, and modern casements. The roof is of clasped purlin construction. This house retains an exceptional number of internal features of high quality and historical interest. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TL7583440069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114478

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing