This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MONKWELL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONKWELL

List entry Number: 1123109

Location

MONKWELL, 1, GRANGE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116152

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL GRANGE HILL (east side)

9/122 No. 1 (Monkwell) 31.10.66

GV II

House and brewery, now a house. C15 and C18, altered c.1900. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing W, C15 with C17 stack at right end, originally external, incorporated in C18. Long crosswing at left end, with external stack to left near front, and one axial stack, C18. C19 2-storey lean-to extension in rear right angle. Single-storey lean-to extensions to rear of main range, roofed with red clay pantiles, and to rear of crosswing, roofed with slate. 2 storeys. Externally the house has been wholly re-styled c.1900, with casements and one first-floor oriel of that date, and a half-glazed door in an open porch with hipped roof. The 2 bays at the right end of the main range have an underbuilt jetty to the front, jowled posts, wallplates and cambered tiebeam chamfered with step stops, and a crownpost roof with plain square crownpost and axial bracing. Plain joists of horizontal section, originally jointed to the rear girt, but raised in C20, without a spine beam, all elaborately painted on soffits and sides in a chevron design. When the plaster was removed in 1932 the colours were blue, yellow and red. Since then they have faded, and the yellow appears white. In rear upper wall, diamond mortices of an unglazed window, with 2 restored mullions. At right end, curved tension bracing trenched to the outside of the heavy studding, much weathered, now within C18 structure. Shown as 'Ye Beerhouse' in a map of 1639 (Essex Record Office, C/DOp P.1) and as 'Mr. Johnson's factory' in a map of 1827 (Essex Record Office, D/DU 19/7). In 1851 it was the Silk Works of Goodson and Son, makers of plush for top hats (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 32).

Listing NGR: TL8496722345

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gardner, J S, Coggeshall Essex, (1951), 32

National Grid Reference: TL 84967 22345

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:32:27.

End of official listing