THE ABBOT'S LODGING AND CORRIDOR OF COGGESHALL ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1123191

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE ABBOT'S LODGING AND CORRIDOR OF COGGESHALL ABBEY, ABBEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ABBOT'S LODGING AND CORRIDOR OF COGGESHALL ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 09:01:09.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ABBOT'S LODGING AND CORRIDOR OF COGGESHALL ABBEY, ABBEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85529 22241

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL ABBEY LANE (south side)

9/12 The Abbot's lodging 2.5.53 and corridor of Coggeshall Abbey (formerly listed as The Abbot's Lodging and remains of Dorter Wall and Ambulatory, Coggeshall Abbey)

GV I

Abbot's lodging and corridor of Cistercian Abbey. Circa 1190, altered c.1220 and in late C16. Lodging of flint rubble containing brick, with brick dressings; corridor of flint rubble with brick and stone dressings, and chalk in the vault; both roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Lodging of rectangular plain aligned E-W, the corridor extending northwards from the E end. Both of 2 storeys. The E elevation has on the ground floor one lancet window with plain jambs and arch, on the first floor 2 lancet windows recessed in 2 plain orders, and in the gable a late C16 window of 4 lights with chamfered mullions, jambs and straight head. The N elevation has on the ground floor one late C16 doorway with a straight brick head, one blocked lancet window in 2 recessed orders with rounded arrises, and a doorway to the corridor; this has jambs and 2-centred head in 2 orders with rounded arrises; on the first floor one late C16 window of 2 lights with chamfered mullion, jambs and straight head, and a doorway from the corridor; this has jambs and a round arch in 2 roll-moulded orders; both doorways are rebated inside. Near the W end is the stub of the W wall of the demolished dorter, and in this angle and the angle with the corridor is a moulded stone corbel, formerly supporting the vault. The S elevation has on the ground floor a blocked lancet window. The W elevation has on the ground floor a blocked similar window. The walls have been raised approximately 0.60 metre in the late C16 with re-used original brick and tile, 2 floors inserted at the same time, and a roof added, evidently for secular domestic use. In later agricultural use window and door apertures have been made in the N, S and W walls, apparently C18 and C19, and the attic floor removed. At the time of survey, August 1987, part of the ground floor was in use as a stable, the remainder only for storage. The floor comprises 4 chamfered transverse beams, some supported on jowled posts, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, with many original boards. The internal beam nearest the E end has empty mortices for a former studded partition in the N half only; existing partitions on the ground floor appear to be later insertions; at the W end many joists have been replaced. On the first floor, between the E windows, is a tall recess with a 2-centred arch; and in the S wall near the E end is a smaller recess with a 2-centred arch. J.S. Gardner interprets these as for a crucifix and piscina (Coggeshall Abbey and its early brickwork, Journal of the British Archaeological Association, third series 18, 1955, 19-32 and plates 5-14). The roof is in 5 bays, with queen posts, clasped purlins and evenly arched wind-braces; one queen post is of re-used medieval moulded timber, heavily weathered. The tiebeams have mortices for the former attic floor, but none for partitions on the first floor; they are strengthened with iron ties. One collar has mortices for a former studded partition on the attic floor, dividing it into 2 and 3 bays. The corridor is of 3 bays with chamfered quadripartite brick vaulting, and a shorter bay at the N end with a 4-centred barrel vault. The ribs are plastered and painted with orange false masonry lines on white, some of whch survives in good condition. Above the ribs are large irregular pieces of chalk set in mortar. The E wall is divided into bays by brick buttresses, and has one round arch and one 2-centred arch, each with a chamfered inner order stopping at imposts below which it is continued as 2 roll-mouldings. The arch to the N was blocked in the late C16 for a doorway with chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch of stone, rebated internally for a door, with one pintle hinge in situ. On the arch are inscribed the initials A.C. in cursive script, and various graffiti. Above the door is a window of 3 lights with chamfered mullions, jambs and 4-centred arches, and one original iron diamond saddle bar. To N of this is a detached stone shaft with a moulded capital, from which springs the cross-arch. The W elevation has a 2-centred doorway with rounded external arrises, and internally 2 roll-moulded orders, with a plain segmental arch above, and a 2-centred arch above it; Gardner interprets this as an E doorway of the dorter, c.1180, altered c.1220 to conform with the rest of the corridor. To N of it is a stone attached half-shaft with a moulded capital, formerly supporting the vault of the dorter. One blocked arch has stone dressings, and internally a window with clustered shafts and nook- shafts with moulded capitals, a twisted and beaded central shaft, one incomplete moulded inner arch and a complete moulded outer arch, formerly of the dorter, c.1180. At the N end is a doorway of c.1220, with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 roll-moulded orders, of plastered brick. The front of it is now within a short link connecting the corridor to the C16 house called The Abbey (item 9/11, q.v.). The upper storey of the corridor has a wide window aperture on each side of the N end, and on the E side 2 blocked original splayed window apertures. The N end is blocked off with thin studding and primary straight bracing. The S end has over the doorway a late C16 timber framed gable with original wattle and daub infill, and on the S side original lime plaster. The late C16 roof is in 4 bays and an incomplete bay at the N end, with chamfered straight tiebeams of vertical section with lamb's tongue stops, clasped purlins and original rafters of horizontal section. Most of the wind-braces are arched, but 5 are of serpentine shape. RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 2. A.M.

Listing NGR: TL8552922241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116043

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of The British Archaeological Association' in Journal of The British Archaeological Association, , Vol. 18, (1955), 19-32

End of official listing