RIVENSHALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123212

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: RIVENSHALL, RAVENS HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVENSHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 04:09:09.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVENSHALL, RAVENS HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural

National Grid Reference: TL 81996 27793

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 82 NW GREENSTEAD GREEN AND RAVENS HALL ROAD HALSTEAD RURAL (south side)

5/154 Rivenshall (Formerly listed 7.8.52 as Ravenshall Farmhouse)

- II

House. Late C16 and C17, possibly earlier. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan comprising (1) main range facing SE with axial stack to left of centre, (2) 3-bay range to rear of right end, c.1600, with central stack, (3) C17 rear wing behind middle of main range, with small single-storey lean-to extension beyond, (4) shorter and lower range at left end of main range, with large single-storey lean-to extensions to left, forming a catslide, and to rear. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one C19 casement, one C20 casement, and one C20 bay. First floor, 2 C19 and 2 C20 casements. Flush 6-panel door with simple pediment head. Roofs hipped. 4 grouped octagonal shafts on each of 2 stacks. Cast iron rainhead. In the right return are 2 C18 3-light windows with rectangular leading, each with a wrought iron casement, and one 2-light window with ovolo mullions, moved from elsewhere. The main range has remnants of an earlier, open hall build and a fragment of an aisle sole plate and octagonal post with moulded capital and base, parts of a former spere truss, and other remnants in an adjoining barn. The SW block is a well-carpentered structure of one storey with original attics, of one long bay between 2 short bays. The middle bay has a full-width ovolo-mullioned window of 6 lights. The structure consists of a series of storey posts with moulded imposts 2/3 of the way up, supporting the bridging beams. The attic, designed to be occupied, has a butt-purlin roof with heavy double collars. The intermediate posts are unjowled. The SE end wall is of interrupted tiebeam design to gain a large attic window. This curious building seems to have been contrived as an independent cottage of markedly original design. At a later date the NE wall of this building was interrupted by the introduction of the western stack. This provided an arched fireplace of 3-centred curvature to the SW, and a fireplace with timber lintel to the NE. RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL8199627793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115992

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing