This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123243



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colne Engaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/11 Elms Hall Farmhouse


House. Circa 1600, altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, mainly plastered, with facade of painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range originally facing E. Extended to W in C18, forming a square plan, but now with the main elevation to the S, a front range with an external stack at each end, with 2 rear wings. Lean-to ancillary building to N with slate roof, incorporated in house in C20. 2 storeys. 2-window range of late C19 sashes of 4 lights, in earlier apertures with gauged flat arches, and central sash of 4 lights over door with semi-circular head. Late C19 4-panel door, the upper panels glazed, and fanlight with cast iron radial tracery, attached reeded columns, and dentilled open pediment, all early C19. In the right return one C18 sash of 12 lights, and C20 sashes. Shaped sprockets under eaves. Roof hipped at rear. The original main range has moulded axial beams (partly boxed in), and moulded joists of vertical section with lamb's tongue stops. Open well stair with wreathed handrail and stick balusters, c.1800. On the first floor are 2 C18 borrowed lights over doors, one of which has leaded diamond panes of handmade glass with the inscription 'Thos Baker of Colne Engaine, Essex'. One C17 pine door on ground floor, and one early C18 pine door on first floor, the latter with re-sited cockshead hinges.

Listing NGR: TL8379529805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 83795 29805


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:30:20.

End of official listing