WAT HOBBS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123393

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: WAT HOBBS FARMHOUSE, WAT HOBBS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAT HOBBS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:22:55.

Location

Statutory Address: WAT HOBBS FARMHOUSE, WAT HOBBS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 75952 14912

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TERLING WAT HOBBS LANE TL 71 SE (north side) 5/168 Wat Hobbs Farmhouse

- II

House. Mid-C16, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing S with axial stack in right bay, and C20 external stacks to left and rear of left bay. Single-storey lean-to extension to rear. C18 one-bay extension to right, with C20 extension to rear and end stack. 2 storeys. 4-window range of early C19 sashes of 16 lights with crown glass. C20 half-glazed door with gabled hood in line with internal stack. Roof hipped at left end. Jowled posts, close studding. In left bay, plain joists of horizontal section arranged longitudinally, partly plastered to the soffits, and original floorboards. In middle bay, chamfered axial beam with step stops. Rear storey post between middle and right bays severed for inserted doorway, tiebeam moved to right. Large wood-burning hearth facing left blocked, C18 hearth facing right reduced for C20 grate, upper part of stack rebuilt in C18. Unsooted crownpost roof with original gablet hip at left (altered to a plain hip externally in the C18), axial bracing, right part of collar-purlin replaced in softwood. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in front wallplate. This holding, with only 5 acres, is mentioned under the present name in a rental of 1475. It is recorded in indentures of 1605, 1626 and 1651 as having 24 acres (Essex Record Office, DIDM M.169 and D/DRa T.132).

Listing NGR: TL7595214912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115516

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing