This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TERLING PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TERLING PLACE

List entry Number: 1123407

Location

TERLING PLACE, TERLING, CHELMSFORD, CM3 2PJ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Terling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2018

TL 7714 11/105

TERLING Terling Place

2.5.53

GV II* Mansion. 1772-73 by John Johnson for John Strutt, M.P., altered c.1818-24. Grey brick in Flemish bond, with limestone dressings, roofed with slate. Originally of double pile plan facing southeast with two internal stacks symmetrically arranged, of three storeys. Altered 1818-24, probably by Thomas Hopper, for Colonel Joseph Strutt.

Two-storey extensions to the southwest elevation enclosed a recessed porch and converted this to the entrance elevation. Long wings of one storey and attics extend obliquely forwards (to north-north-east and west-south-west). Northwest elevation, four-window range of early C19 sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor of the main block seven sashes of six lights. Double half glazed doors with niche to each side in recessed porch, with two Tuscan columns and entablature. Moulded cornice and plain parapet to, entrance wings, modillioned cornice and plain parapet to main block. Low-pitched hipped roof concealed by parapet.

Southeast (garden) elevation, 2:3:2 range of sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor seven sashes of six lights, all with flat arches of gauged brick. Central part set slightly forward, the original central door altered to a window, with three round arches with moulded keystones, and on the first floor four Ionic attached columns (forming part of the 1818-24 alterations), stone band below sills of first floor windows, and modillioned pediment and cornice and plain parapet. A mid C19 conservatory, with glazed margins joined the formerly freestanding west wing to the main house, was demolished in 2015. The side elevations have five-window ranges of sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor five sashes of six lights; similar band, cornice and parapet.

Central staircase hall altered c.1818-24 to form a two storey neo-Greek saloon, with gallery all round, and bowed wrought iron balustrade. Below the balustrade a frieze of plaster casts of the Elgin marbles by Westmacott. Mahogany panelled doors, consoled doorcases, the latter marbled by W.M. Leake, c.1845. On the gallery, wooden Ionic columns (and one of cast iron, forming a flue), also marbled. Dished and moulded ceiling, panelled ceilings around gallery. A simple dog-leg stair outside the saloon replaces the original E-plan stair, re-using Johnson's wrought iron scrolled and foliated balusters with honeysuckle terminals. White marble fireplaces, low-relief plasterwork with husk garlands, honeysuckle and paterae, dentilled cornices and folding shutters.

This is Johnson's first known domestic building, the first brick laid 30 March 1772, the house occupied 26 November 1773 (Nancy Briggs, unpublished lecture to the Georgian Group, 1983, and Essex Record Office, D/DRa E.45). The third Lord Rayleigh established a laboratory in the west wing (since gutted by fire) and there first identified argon in 1894, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Science in 1904. Listing NGR: TL7736714625

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 77367 14625

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:52:55.

End of official listing