PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123411

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 01:01:30.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 77316 14817

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH GREEN (south-east side)

11/116 Parish Church of All Saints

GV II*

Parish church. C13-C15, with early C18 tower, restored in C19. Flint rubble with dressings of limestone and clunch, the Chancel roughcast externally, roofed with handmade red clay tiles; tower of red brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings, spire shingled. Chancel and E wall of the W tower, early C13. S arcade, S aisle, and S porch, C15. W tower 1732. N aisle, N porch and N vault, C19. The Chancel has a mainly C19 E window. In the N wall are 2 early C14 windows with 2-centred heads. Y-tracery and moulded labels, the eastern windows much restored; further E is a C13 lancet, blocked and visible externally. Between the 2 C14 doorways is a C19 doorway to the N vault. In the S wall are 2 windows similar to those in the N wall, much restored. The Chancel arch is C19; above it is a small window with segmental head, plastered and visible only from the E. The roof of the Chancel is of 17 couples with collars, soulaces and ashlar-pieces, all tenoned, C13/C14. The Nave has a C19 N arcade of 4 bays. The S arcade is of 4 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 wave-moulded orders, the octagonal piers have concave faces and moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns. The roof of the Nave is similar to that of the Chancel, but boarded to the soffit in the C19. The early C19 vault to the N of the Chancel is of red brick with limestone dressings; the plinth in English bond, a stone string course, and Flemish bond above. The N gable has a trefoiled stone vent and a blank stone panel above. Each side has a blank recess with 2-centred Gothick head of gauged brick. Brick diagonal buttresses. The S aisle was constructed in the C15, much restored in 1857, and all visible detail is C19. The W tower comprises a C13 E wall of stone rubble, and the remainder built in 1732. The doorway in the E wall has jambs and 2-centred arch of 3 moulded orders. The 2-fold doors are of lapped planks of wedge-section, one plank of each having an ornamented perforation, on restored rear frames and hinges, with a wrought iron escutcheon plate and twisted drop-handle, of uncertain date. Above the doorway on the W side is a recess with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. In the bell-chamber is a window with 2-centred head and label, C13, blocked on the W side. The other 3 sides of the W tower, built in 1732, are of brick with projecting alternate quoins of stone, in 3 stages, with 3 stone bands, and a brick band below the eaves. In the W wall is a round-arched doorway with alternating quoins, projecting keystone, plain overlight, and a pair of fielded 3-panelled pine doors, and above it a scrolled and pedimented plaque inscribed 'Spatio Vetusto Fessa - Ruinam dedi - Duabusq elapsis Messibus - Tertia Johanne Scott et - Daniele Stammers - Aedibus - Spectatior Surrexi - Antonio Goud Latomo: Anno Sal: Humanae 1732'. In the second stage is a round-headed window with alternating quoins, and above it a clockface on a scrolled panel. In the third stage or bell-chamber is a similar window, louvred. In the N side of the first stage, and the N and S sides of the second stage, are blank windows with straight stone jambs, flat heads and keystones; in the last is a sundial with arched head, Greek inscription and scrolled brackets. In the N and S sides of the bell-chamber are windows similar to that in the W side. Inside the tower, in the N wall, are 5 mortar panels inscribed by parishioners (who may be identified in the register), some in doggerel verse, and a stone panel inscribed by 2 more; and in the W wall over the doorway is a panel with Greek inscription. A straight stair with open treads, moulded string, plain post and handrail rises to the second stage. This floor is of re-used oak joists of horizontal section. The spire is broached, essentially of original construction, but repaired in 1945 after damage by lightning. The early C15 S porch is timber-framed, with C19 base walls of stone rubble and limestone dressings 1.50 metres high. It is in one bay, with an elaborate crownpost roof. In each side are continuous windows of 6 lights with moulded mullions and cinquefoiled tracery. The outer doorway has hollow-moulded jambs and 4-centred arch, the spandrels carved with quatrefoils and mouchettes. To each side of it is a single light with cinquefoiled tracery. The outer tiebeam is moulded and crenellated, much weathered. In the king stud is a trefoiled niche. The original bargeboards are cusped and carved with quatrefoils; the gable is infilled with rebated boards. The wallplates are moulded; the roof has curved soulaces to every rafter couple, a moulded inner tiebeam, moulded axial braces, moulded inner crownpost and a moulded collar-purlin. This porch, like the S aisle, was probably built by John Rochester, who died in 1444 (source below, in connection with the Rochester brasses). Fittings. There are 8 bells, the third by Miles Graye, 1623, and a sanctus. In the E wall of the S aisle are 2 brasses (1) of William Rochester, 1558, and Elizabeth his wife, 1556, with kneeling figures of man in civil dress, wife, 6 sons and 4 daughters, and 2 shields of arms with some original colour, set in tablet of Purbeck marble with 2 round arches and moulded rim (2) of John Rochester, 1584, with inscription, kneeling figures of man in civil dress, 2 wives, 4 sons and 8 daughters, and 3 shields of arms with some original colour, set in tablet of Purbeck marble with moulded rim. In the floor of the S aisle are 2 large brasses, of a man in early Tudor armour with a slit mail skirt, and a woman in pedimental head-dress, with 2 shields of arms and 2 indents for mouth-scrolls, believed to be of Robert Rochester, 1508, and his wife Elizabeth (Nancy Briggs, The Rochester brasses in the south aisle of Terling Church, Essex, Trans. Monumental Brass Society, IX, part VIII, December 1961, 429-37). The communion rail is C18, with moulded rail and sill and turned and twisted balusters. The font has an octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble, each face with 2 shallow sunk and pointed panels, early C13, and C19 stem and shafts. On the jambs of the W doorway are C15 graffiti, of 2 shields and an illegible black-letter inscription. In the Nave are floor-slabs (1) to Charles Phillips, vicar of the parish, 1801 (2) to William Goodday, vicar of the parish, 1848, and other members of his family. On the S wall of the S aisle is a tablet to Philip Stotherd, 1739, and Frances his wife, with fluted pilasters, moulded architrave and scrolled brackets. In the tower, clock by Jonathan Draper, 1793, face 1812. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7731614817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115464

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society' in Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society, , Vol. 9, (1961), 429-37

End of official listing