This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WINDMILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WINDMILL

List entry Number: 1123419

Location

THE WINDMILL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Terling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2012

TL 7614 and TL 7615 8/134 and 10/134

TERLING MILL LANE The Windmill

II

Smock mill, now a dwelling, and attached house. Early C19, altered in C20. Mill, timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, with fabric-covered cap. House, timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with slate. Mill octagonal, with house extending to NW, and C20 wing to NE, forming an L-plan. Mill of 5 storeys and cap, house of 2 storeys. The ground floor of the mill is plastered, with one C20 casement on each of 6 sides and a C20 door to the SE. The remainder is weatherboarded, with 4 C20 casements on each floor, and 2 loading doors on the first floor. Stocks, sails and fantail gear. Ball finial on cap. SW elevation of house, 3-window range of C20 casements. C20 door. Low-pitched roof. The mill is reported to have been built in Cressing c.1770, and removed to Terling c.1825 (A. Hills, Four Essex Windmills, Essex Review, XXXIX, 1930, 89) but no confirmation of this has been traced. Internally, there are structural indications of various alterations, and dismantling and re-erection is a possibility. The mill was present in Terling in c.1818, initially designed for grinding bark, and altered to corn milling soon afterwards. It worked until 1960, and was the last working windmill in Essex. The machinery has been removed, but was fully recorded. (K. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, I, 1981, 62, 69-70, II, 1982, 65-8, and V forthcoming).

Listing NGR: TL7643115010

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farries, K G, Essex Windmills Millers and Millwrights, (1981), 62,69-70
Farries, K G, Essex Windmills Millers and Millwrights, (1982), 65-8
Hills, A, 'Essex Review' in Four Essex Windmills, , Vol. 34, (1930), 84

National Grid Reference: TL 76431 15010

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:01:16.

End of official listing