This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123485



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115234

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/92 Boyton Hall Farmhouse 2.5.53 (Formerly listed as Boyton Hall) GV II

House. Mid-C16, altered c.1600 and in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 5 bays facing NW, with axial stack at left end, and 3-bay crosswing beyond, extending to rear, c.1600. Stair tower in rear angle, c.1600. Single-storey extension to left of crosswing, C20. Main range of 2 storeys, crosswing of 2 storeys and attic. 3-window range of C20 casements. Door in gabled porch, C20. 6 octagonal shafts on main stack, rebuilt at top (serving 4 hearths). Original bargeboards on left gable, with carved guilloche design. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces trenched to the inside, the original main doorway with 4-centred head, blocked, chamfered beams, chamfered joists of horizontal section with step stops. The ground-floor hearth facing to right has ovolo-moulded brickwork above the mantel beam, originally plastered but now stripped, a trace of a former painted text in C16 lettering, and some new brickwork. At first floor there are 2 hearths with depressed arches and recessed spandrels, one still with the original moulded plaster, the other stripped, and a moulded 4-plank door, all c.1600. The stair tower retains the original stair, with 2 octagonal newels and square finials, moulded rails, and moulded straight balusters of unusual type. The roof of the main range is of crownpost construction with thin axial braces, the crosswing of clasped purlin construction. This house was built from the outset in 2 storeys but of medieval plan, with a wide screens passage, 2-bay 'hall' and 2-bay service end, but has developed in an untypical way in that a stack has been inserted at the high end, forming a lobby-entrance, and the 3-bay crosswing has replaced the original parlour/solar bay. Moated site. RCHM 6.

Listing NGR: TL7069533989

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 70695 33989


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:15:58.

End of official listing