This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GREAT LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREAT LODGE

List entry Number: 1123499

Location

GREAT LODGE, BRAINTREE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 62 NE GREAT BARDFIELD BRAINTREE ROAD (east side)

5/126 Great Lodge 2.5.53 (Formerly listed as Great Lodge with Stables) GV II*

House. Early C17. Red brick in English bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. L-plan, with single-span wings extending to N and E. Axial stack in N wing, internal stack at junction against S elevation, C19 internal stack further E against S elevation, blocking an original window. Single-storey lean-to extension against E elevation of N wing, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys and attics. W elevation, ground floor, one early C19 tripartite sash of 4-12-4 lights, one early C19 sash of 24 lights. First floor, 4 early C19 sashes of 12 lights. One plain door, one half-glazed door with moulded architrave, early C19. String at first floor level consisting of 2 moulded brick bands, the upper protected by inclined red clay tiles, with a plain band between which originally had a raised strapwork design in plaster. The same string continues all round the building, with traces of the original plaster strapwork on the N elevation of the E wing. The E wing originally continued, but was truncated c.1950, and the string reproduced at that end. 4 octagonal shafts on the main S stack, grouped diagonal shafts on the N stack, truncated. At each side of the NE corner there is a low blind arch, originally for a sunken open dairy or well- house. In the E elevation at first floor level, 2 C17 3-light windows with wrought iron casements, restored. The interior has high ceilings at both Levels, an early C19 oval stair with stick balusters, re-sited C17 panelling, double butt-purlin roof. It was built 1621-3 by Sir Martin Lomelin or Lumley, who became Lord Mayor of London in 1623, as the service range of a house which stood further to the S, demolished c.1729. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL6942929048

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL 69429 29048

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:54:32.

End of official listing