This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RED LION HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RED LION HOTEL

List entry Number: 1123599

Location

RED LION HOTEL, 42-44, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Colchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116994

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 995 TL 9925 SE 5/94 24.2.50

HIGH STREET (South Side) Nos 42 to 44 (consec) (Red Lion Hotel) I

2. An important and richly ornamented example of late C15 and early C16 work. The original house was built circa 1470 and the remains of the hall and screens can be seen in the ground floor dining room. Circa 1500 the house was turned into an inn and the main block on to the street front was built, with a carriage entrance in the centre. This block is of 3 storeys, the upper storeys and the eaves project and the tiled roof has 4 C18 hipped gables. The 1st floor has been underbuilt and there is a modern shop window at the west end of the ground floor. The 1st floor is divided into bays by 8 shafts carrying the brackets to support the projecting storey above and with carved capitals and moulded bases; all the windows in this storey are C18-C19 sashes (range of 4) but there are 2 blocked original window openings; covering the wall face of this storey are 35 traceried panels. The upper storey or 2nd floor has similar traceried panels between the stud work - 19 in all - and similar shafts dividing the bays, and there is a moulded bressumer to the eaves supported by curved brackets, some of them carved. The carriage entrance to the courtyard has an archway with moulded posts, 4 centres arch in square head and carved spandrels, finely moulded roof timbers. In the courtyard the wing on the west side has an upper storey projecting with a fine moulded bressumer on curved brackets with shafts; the east side has largely C18 and C19 features. There is a rain water head dated 1716. Many original interior features, especially fine moulded ceiling beams throughout the early C16 building, and a number of original windows. The late C15 Part of the building has carved timber work. There are cellars of circa 1400.

Listing NGR: TL9967925207

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL9967925207

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:08:44.

End of official listing