This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1123690

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Castle Point

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116830

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH BENFLEET HIGH STREET TQ 78 NE 1/12 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 7-8-52

GV 1

Parish church. C12 west end of Nave. C13 Chancel arch. Early C14 west tower. During C15 the Chancel, Chancel arch, south arcade and south aisle were rebuilt. Late C15 south porch, c.1500 north aisle and clerestorey. C17 repairs and C19/C20 restorations. Ashlar, rubble, flint and Roman brick, timber south porch, red plain tiled roofs. Chancel, east wall, angle buttresses, C19/C20 3 light window with roundel over under 2 centre arched head , label and stops. North wall with angle and centre buttresses, 2 repaired C15 windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over under 2 centre arched heads, labels over, 2 similar south wall windows with a chamfered 2 centre arched doorway of the same date between. Crenellated north aisle, angle and 2 centre buttresses, the latter with a blocked 2 centre arched doorway between. East wall C20 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoil in a 4 centred head, west wall window similar to those in Chancel north wall. Western north wall window similar to that in east wall, eastern window of 3 cinquefoil lights under a 4 centred head. Clerestorey 3 C15 windows of 2 cinquefoil lights under square heads. Nave eastern gable, 3 small C16 windows with rounded heads, one blocked. West tower of 3 stages. Each face of ground floor has a small trefoiled light with square head, similar second stage south and west windows, belfry north, south and west windows of 2 trefoiled lights under square heads and labels, some restored. Clock faces to north and south walls, flint flushwork bands to upper stage, first stage buttresses to west, north west and south west angles. Crenellated south aisle. 4 C15 windows similar to those in Chancel. Between the 2 south wall windows is a C15 doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred head. Clerestorey with 3 lights similar to those in north wall. Fine south porch, of 2 bays each with 4 cusped side wall lights. Moulded and chamfered 2 centred arch with traceried spandrels, ogee side lights with vertical tracery over. Moulded and crenellated tie beam with 3 panels over, each with moulded mullions and traceried head. Moulded bargeboards. Interior, with central moulded hammer beam, moulded arched braces, moulded wall plates, moulded and crenellated side purlins. Side seats. C20 wrought iron mullions to all lights and C19/C20 restorations. Segmental headed stoup east of doorway. Interior. Chancel, roof of 4 bays, 4 armed octagonal crown posts with moulded capitals and bases, moulded wall plates. C15 piscina, moulded jambs, cinquefoiled arch in square head. C19 and C20 stained glass windows. C20 dado panelling to choir walls. Painted reredos designed by Sir Charles Nicholson and painted by his mother, Lady Nicholson. Traceried screen by Sir Charles Nicholson, the lower panels painted by his daughter, Miss Barbara Nicholson, rood beam with Christ and the 2 Maries. Early C15 2 centred Chancel arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, mid C13 responds with 3 attached shafts, continuous moulded capitals and bases. Nave. C20 3 cant roof with 4 plain tie beams. 4 carved face corbel stones to north and south walls. C20 octagonal pulpit. Font. C13 Purbeck marble stem with C19 square bowl, 3 roundels to each face, foliate carved soffit, 4 side shafts, moulded base. West wall, C12 doorway with round head, imposts and jambs of 2 orders. High up are 2 blocked C12 round headed windows with wide splays. C20 organ to specification of Sir Sidney Nicholson by Harrison and Harrison of Durham. North arcade of 2 centre arches of 2 chamfered orders, columns with 4 attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases. North aisle. Niche at angle to north and east walls. Rood loft stairway. Medieval glass quarries and borders to east and north west windows. Since 1945 many windows throughout the church have been filled with stained glass figures. Piscina, chamfered segmental pointed head and round drain. South arcade, 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds, moulded capitals and bases, some capitals are re-used c.1300 work. Square headed niche in east respond. South aisle. Niche with pointed head in south wall. Piscina. Moulded jambs, trefoiled ogee head. C13 coffin lid, inscription in Norman French said to read "Here lies Marcelie, Pray for her soul". West tower with south east internal spiral staircase of timber with octagonal newel. A monumental slab is reputed to be under the Chancel floor, directly in front of the altar. The slab was re-discovered in 1978. Indents and 3 pairs of trefoils adjoining the bracket stem were all that remained of the bracket brass, fragments from elsewhere have since be relaid. The slate commemorates Thomas Blosme and his wife Olive, the stone was laid circa 1400 when she died, Thomas died 1440. John Dobson, Guide to the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin.

Listing NGR: TQ7782986138

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dobson, J, Guide to the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin South Benfleet

National Grid Reference: TQ 77829 86138

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:12:00.

End of official listing