PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1123841

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123841 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 17:06:30.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Feering

National Grid Reference: TL 87220 20417

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FEERING THE STREET TL 8620-8720 (north side)

7/116 Parish Church of All 21.12.67 Saints

GV I

Parish church. C13-16, restored in C19. Flint and septaria rubble and red brick in English bond, dressings of brick, clunch and limestone, roofed with handmade red plain tiles and lead. Nave of C12/13 origin, Chancel mainly early C14, N aisle early C14, W tower C15, S wall of Nave and S porch early C16, N vestry C19. The Chancel has an early C14 E window of 3 pointed lights with plain intersecting tracery in a 2-centred head, the jambs and arch chamfered in 2 orders, and a hollow-moulded rear-arch. The N wall, W of the vestry, is of roughly coursed rubble, possibly earlier than the main part. In the N wall are 2 windows similar to the E window but of 2 lights, and wholly restored externally; the eastern window has a low sill, forming a seat. Between the windows is a C19 doorway to the vestry. In the S wall are 2 windows similar to those in the N wall; further W is an early C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch, blocked internally, with a hollow-chamfered rear-arch. Above it is a blocked early C16 window of brick, of three 4-centred lights in a 4-centred head, partly restored. The chancel-arch is reported to be by Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1845, reproducing the original of c.1200. Chancel roof 1960. The Nave has a N arcade of c.1330, of 4 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 wave-moulded orders; the columns have each 4 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the responds have attached half-columns. The S wall is built or faced with early C16 brick, and has a moulded plinth with panels of flint inlay, and a crenellated parapet on a trefoiled corbel-table. It has 3 early C16 brick windows; the easternmost is of four 4-centred lights with plain tracery in a 4-centred head with a moulded label and chamfered rear-arch; the second window is similar but of 2 lights with tracery; the westernmost window is similar but of 5 lights without tracery. Between the 2 western windows is the S doorway, C19 externally but retaining an early C16 4-centred rear-arch. The door has a 2-centred head and is Cl4; it is comprised of 7 radially cut and V-edged boards nailed to 6 rear battens which are dovetailed into the rim. There are 2 original strap-hinges with enlarged shoulders and incised chevron patterns, and one C19 reproduction. The stock-lock and bolt are later, but of uncertain date. The base of the door has been repaired in the C19. The roof of the Nave is late C17, of butt-purlin construction in 8 bays, with moulded wallplates with arabesque and other ornament, and 3 straight tiebeams carved with lozenges and wheat-ears. The middle tiebeam has small pendants at the base of the principal ratters; the other principals have small brackets. Each truss has an arch-braced collar with 2 raking struts and moulded pendant. There are 2 chamfered butt-purlins in each roof pitch. (C.A. Hewett, Church Carpentry, an Essex Study, 1982, 41, 46 and Plate 19). The N aisle has in the N wall 3 C14 windows; the easternmost is of 3 pointed lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label and wave-moulded rear-arch; the 2 western windows are each of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with a moulded label, partly restored. Between them is the C14 N doorway with plain jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 wave-moulded orders; above it is a gabled weathering with fleur-de-lys finial, indicating the former existence of a N porch. In the W wall is a window similar to the western window in the N wall, restored externally. In the middle of the N wall is a late C14 tomb recess with shafted jambs, moulded ogee arch, label and foliated finial, restored with cement. The early C15 W tower is of 3 stages with a moulded plinth, moulded bands between the stages, 2 diagonal buttresses, and a stair-turret in the NE angle. The 2-centred tower-arch is of 3 orders, one chamfered, one moulded, one hollow-chamfered, the inner 2 dying on to the square responds; the outer order is continuous. N of it is the door to the stair, with moulded jambs and 2-centred arch. The W window is of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head, the moulded label restored. Below it is a doorway with moulded jambs, 2-centred arch, and heavily weathered moulded label. The second stage has in the N, S and W walls a window of one trefoiled light in a square head with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights under a square head with a moulded label; the head of the W window is restored. The stair is lit by 3 plain loops. The parapet is crenellated. The S porch is of red brick with a diaper pattern of flared headers; it has a trefoiled corbel-table and crenellated parapet, crow-stepped at the S end and finished with crocketed pinnacles at the angles and a truncated pinnacle at the apex. The moulded plinth has trefoiled panels of flint-inlay. The outer archway has moulded upper jambs and a 4-centred arch with double label, 4-centred and square. Above it is a projection on moulded corbelling enclosing a niche with a 4-centred head surmounted by 3 trefoiled panels with a stepped and moulded label. The side walls have each a window of 3 transomed and 4-centred lights with a moulded label. The roof has a brick vault with a diagonal cross and intermediate ribs springing from moulded corbels; in the middle is a shield with a merchant's mark. Above the S doorway of the Nave and below the vaulting. is a 4-centred and moulded wall-arch resting on splayed angles, each with two 4-centred niches, and on a squinch across the NW angle of the porch. The bench on each side of the porch is supported by 2 shallow 3-centred arches of brick. The porch was restored in 1982-3. Fittings. There are 2 piscinae, (1) in the Chancel, with trefoiled head, moulded label and sexfoiled drain, early C14, restored, (2) in the N side of the N arcade, with wave-moulded jambs and 2-centred arch, defaced cusped head and repaired octofoiled drain, C14. In the S wall of the Nave is a stoup, with plain chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, basin destroyed, of uncertain date. In the floor of the N aisle is a C13 coffin-lid, a tapering slab with double hollow-chamfered jambs (sunk in adjacent bricks), and cross with trefoiled ends in relief. On the N wall of the Chancel is a brass to Judith (Gaell), wife of Robert Aylett, LL.D., 1623, inscription only; and an oval stone tablet to Joseph Driffield, 1781, and his widow Mary, 1806; and a similar tablet to Elizabeth Driffield, 1789, her infant daughter Mary Sophia, 1780, and to Walter Wren Driffeld, 1828, friend of John Constable, painter. In the floor of the Nave are diaper stone slabs (1) inscribed E.D. 1798 and M.D. 1806, and (2) inscribed M.T. 1816, W.W.D. 1828,'and E.K. 1826. In the tracery of the middle window of the N aisle is C14 glass, foliated and tabernacle work, in situ, and reset below it, glass of various periods and national origins, including a roundel of a crowned rose with initials E.R., C16. Framed on the W wall of the Nave is a lead sheet embossed 'John Brewer, John Eley, churchwardens, 1802, Slyth plumber'. Remounted on the C19 door to the stair turret are C15 incised strap hinges, and an iron key-plate with protective flap, of uncertain date. There are eight bells, of which the sixth, seventh and eighth were recast by Miles Graye in 1624. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8722020417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116438

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 41,46

End of official listing